"My Island Life" Isle of Man by Kristymamoo

Isle of Man Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 86 photos

Why do I love the Isle of Man?

Fourteen years ago my family moved to the Island to begin a new life. I was filled with wonder the very first moment I set foot on this beautiful Island.

I grew up in Saddleworth and, as such, I was already used to wide open spaces and country air but this was something else. The Island feels so fresh and clean - I notice and appreciate it every time I come back after a trip away. Even on grey days everywhere just looks so much brighter than what I've grown used to on the mainland. And even the Saddleworth Moors can't compete with the dramatic beauty of this Island.

The Island has so many opportunities for children growing up - something which I don't think those who have spent their whole lives here really appreciate. Feeling confident about letting your children have the freedom to go off with their friends without having to know where they are every second is a huge blessing. The Island is safe and friendly and I'm lucky enough to live in an area where the children can visit wetlands, a park, many of their friends and a glen without having to cross any busy roads. You can even get to a beach without crossing any busy roads - admittedly it's a 20 minute walk throught the glen, but still!!

Added to all that is the general feeling of contentment on the Island. Exceedingly low levels of unemployment and low rates of tax contribute towards the relaxed attitude that greets you here. Of course you do get the odd little bit of back-biting and ***iness as with everywhere else, but in life you learn that people like that aren't worth wasting your time on - life's too short and these are the people that need to learn this more than anyone else so why let it bother you?

Having moved back to the Island I am now surrounded by my family again which is great - I get to play at being Daddy's girl every now and then and the girls have got theirn grandparents around. I also have two little sisters here (not quite so little anymore!) who I missed terribly while I was living on the mainland and it's great to have them back.

I think that when I first got here aged 14 I made the Island my home then. I did move away for 9 years but I am so glad to be back. I've been back here now just over a year and it's been a bumby road at times, but it is so worth it. I love this Island!

The Best Things in Life are Free

I have heard many people who live here complaining that there is nothing to do. All I can really say to that is they obviously have no sense of adventure!!

Admitedly, if you like to pay for someone else to entertain you then there isn't a great deal to do, but if you get out there and explore the Island you can find enough hidden wonders to keep you going for years. There are literally hundreds af walks which lead you to unexpected places, hidden beaches, an old derelict building in the strangest of places....
It just goes on. There are so many things to see on this Island and it costs you nothing more than a little legwork - and it is well worth every aching muscle!!

Whale and dolphin sightings are also a regular occurence on the Island. Primarily around the Southern coast. I always seem to be in the wrong place when these happen but I have had many a close encounter with a seal. It always seems to me that it is they who are doing the watching rathers than us - and they also seem to appear unexpectedly.

I could happily spend every weekend walking around the Island. I have seen so much here already but I know wthere is so much more to come.

I have finally spotted sharks off the coast!!!! If you zoom in on this picture you can just make out the dorsal fin of a Basking Shark - for once I was in the right place at the right time!!!
Date & Location of sighting: Sat 4 August, from behind Peel Castle.

Ok- maybe you can't make out the shark!! I have just tried on this pic but I can't make it out - really clear on the orginal version though. It is there - Honest!!!! :-)

My Page

As with many people, I don't really take the time to take many photo's and really appreciate what I have here at home but I am making it my vow this Summer to explore as many hidden places and take as many photo's as possible to record here on the VT pages for you all to share!!

• Pros:Safe, friendly, beautiful.....
  • Cons:Very expensive to get on and off!
  • Last visit to Isle of Man: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2014 at 3:51 AM

Nice page

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I loved your tip about the seals.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2008 at 5:20 AM

I just love this page! A walk up to Bradda Head is definitely on my list for my next stay.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Some nice photos on this page, Kristy. You really get an impression of the ruggedness of the island. Looks great!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 3:14 AM

Really enjoyed reading this page. Looks like you have a far more spectacular coast than my Cumbria, just across the water.

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Nice page. My grandfather lives in the Isle of Man - we (children on our own) used to come every year when little and it is true what you say about exploring

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 6:05 AM

Interesting to get to know and see more about Mann, got some get back to nature spots for sure. havent been there yet but maybe one day!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 4:26 AM

Great page and photos! Might actually get over one day! But hang on, shouldn't there be a cat in amongst the photos, you know, one without a tail? LOL!! Gillybob greetings

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 2:38 AM

great page and lovely photos - a place that is still on our list of places to visit!

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 4:12 PM

You have been Busy Kristy !! - Excellent updates – your restaurant tips make me Hungry, I remember Peel castle and the walk to the beach sounds awesome – Great pics too :-) - I will have to get back to IOM one of these days !!

Kristymamoo Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Isle of Man

Have you been to Isle of Man?