"Christmas Party!!!!" Edinburgh by Kristymamoo

Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,449 reviews and 6,942 photos

Every year I organise a Christmas Party for all of my colleagues and their partners. This year we headed to Edinburgh and we all had a fab time. As is usually the case on these trips that will inevitably involve lots of drinking and silliness I went with every intention of taking loads of photos but came back with a total of 13 - and not one of them shows off the city of Edinburgh!!!! Still a great time was had by all.

This was my first trip to Scotland and I'm not quite sure it was the best place to go to appreciate what Scotland has to offer. Althoug we all had a wonderful time the general feeling among the party was that the city itself was rather dark and bleak. Although you cannot argue with the fact that lots of the buildings are truly stunning they all just seemed to appear black? Mind you; the weather we had over the weekend was terrible so I can't hold that against what I believe could be a truly beautiful city.

Nights Out

As this trip was a party we obviously had to get out and experience what Edinburgh had to offer in terms of nightlife. No complaints there!! There seemed to be an endless choice of restaurants and bars and all extended a warm welcoming atmosphere as we arrived.

We found a funny little bar on Rose Street (I think - but I was quite drunk by this stage!) called El Barrio. This was a great place with a very laid back, relaxed feel about it. The music was played at a level which could entice dancing but wasn't too loud to allow conversation. Personally I loved the huge fish tank at the back of this place and spent what seemed like hours transfixed to the turtle which was swimming around in it (as I said earlier - quite drunk!!).

We had a group meal on the Saturday night which was fabulous! We ate at the Stac Polly on Dublin Street. Again, this offered a relaxed atmosphere and the food was absolutely gorgeous. We had booked the privated dining room in this restauarant and so were able to really kick back and enjoy ourselves. I would definitley visit this restaurant again. The prices were reasonable and there was a huge selection of wines and whiskies on offer. We moved onto a couple of other bars after the restaurant none of which I could name! One of these did the most gorgeous cocktails so I really wish I could remember where I had been! Lol :-)

We were staying at the Thistle on Leith Street which was an ideal location for nights out as it was very central so everything was within walking distance.

Days Out

We were lucky enough to be in Edinburgh whilst the Winter Wonderland was in full swing. This was a gorgeous set up with a german market offering tasty treats and plenty of mulled wine and beers. There was also an ice-rink which proved to be a very effective hangover cure!

Paul and I spent most of Sunday wandering around the city and taking a stroll from one end of the Royal Mile to the other. Somewhere along there I came across a little fudge kitchen - I was guided by the smell. You are able to watch the fudge being made here and of course I had to take some home with me - it wasn't as nice as the fudge I buy at the Garrison on the Isle of Man though! One thing I didn't realise until I set off walking though was just how hilly Edinburgh is!!! My legs were killing me by the time we finally got on the plane home on Sunday night but I would definitely visit again - I quite fancy making the effore to visit during the Military Tattoo....

• Pros:Easy to get around, plenty to see and do, very welcoming.
  • Cons:A bit bleak..... but maybe it was just the weather?
  • In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit but don't think I could do more than a weekend here.
  • Last visit to Edinburgh: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2008

Comments

Badges & Stats in Edinburgh

Have you been to Edinburgh?

Latest Activity in Edinburgh