"Small Town Across the Sound" Poulsbo by HasTowelWillTravel
Poulsbo Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 59 photos
Poulsbo is a small town, about 8,000 people, almost directly across the Puget Sound from Seattle. It has a large Norweigan heritage, reflected in the architecture of the downtown. The town dates to 1883 when it was first settled under the name Paulsbo... over the years the name has shifted to its current spelling, yet retains the same pronunciation.
A lot of small shops, restaurants line the town, making it a nice day destination from Seattle. Poulsbo also contains with one of the greatest grocery stores in the country, Central Market. It has an absurd number of bakeries, some Nordic in nature, some regular bakeries, but they all turn out delicious treats all day long.
It is a good central location for a base of operations... just a ferry ride away from Seattle (~30 minutes), yet just a little turn away from the delights of the temperate rainforest Olympic National park.
My parents moved here last winter, just before Christmas, so I get a lot of exposure to the town come winter. It's an interesting place.
- Pros:Bakeries, small shops, quiet life
- Cons:Sometimes a bit too quiet
- In a nutshell:An interesting diversion from Seattle with a lot to offer
Set above the general store in Port Gamble, the Of Sea and Shore Museum is an amazing collection of objects from the... more travel advice
This great little coffeeshop is a must-stop in Poulsbo. Set in their historic downtown area, it has a lot of space...... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Poulsbo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Washington's Little Norway"
- "Old Norwegian Settlement turned Tourist Attraction"
- "Kayak Liberty Bay"
- "Small Town Across the Sound"
- "Viking Village"
- "jgemini says, "Velkommen til Poulsbo!""
- "Poulsbo, WA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poulsbo
- Hotels in Poulsbo
- Transportation in Poulsbo
- Restaurants in Poulsbo
- Shopping in Poulsbo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poulsbo
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Poulsbo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poulsbo
Photos in PoulsboSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos