"Step Off the Prairie" Badlands National Park by HasTowelWillTravel
Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 382 photos
Millions of years ago, the middle part of the United States was covered by a huge inland sea. Shallow and warm, it did not have the huge dinosaurs that existed elsewhere, save some marine reptiles. But as the sea retreated, and the cycles of glaciers took their toll on the sedimentary rock contained there, these wondrous layered canyons emerged in the middle of the prairie.
This has created a landscape which is utterly surreal. The alien formations of the landscape crash into the unbridled life of the prairie, providing a juxtoposition of barren rock and wildflowers that is intoxicating. Add in the sky, which is as vast as one could ever conceive, it is themaking of a veritable smörgåsbord of natural delight.
- Pros:Isolated beauty, rare formations found in very few places
- Cons:Hard to get to, isolated
- In a nutshell:The beauty of the moon wrapped up in rolling prairie grass
While the Badlands did not have a huge number of reptilian dinosaurs, it did have an unusually large number of mammals,... more travel advice
The Castle trail is the longest trail of the park, stretching 5 miles one-way as it winds through the badlands... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Badlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
- "On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All"
- "Beautiful Badlands"
- "Not really a honeymoon ;)"
- "Harsh Beauty"
- "The Beautiful Badlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Badlands National Park
- Hotels in Badlands National Park
- Transportation in Badlands National Park
- Nightlife in Badlands National Park
- Restaurants in Badlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Badlands National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Badlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Badlands National Park
- Posted in Travel Thailand Forum "Re: Luggage storage in Bangkok"
- updated a Badlands National Park Travelogue "Traveling Along the Canyons of the Badlands"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Traveling Along the Canyons of the Badlands"
- Wrote a Review Hiking: Fossil Loop Trail in Badlands National Park Things to Do
Photos in Badlands National ParkSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos