"Sandy Strips of Land" Cape Hatteras National Seashore by HasTowelWillTravel
Cape Hatteras National Seashore Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 29 photos
The Outer Banks are one of the more famous destinations for touring North Carolina, especially if you're an ocean and beach person. The banks consist of a long strip of narrow barrier islands which protect an inner waterway from the Atlantic ocean. These barriers are just sand, with some native scrub planted along the way (some is natural, some is to help control erosion). However, despite the relatively austere landscape, there is a lot of things to do at the Outer Banks (or OBX, as it's abbreviated on car bumpers and tee shirts).
I spent a weekend here with my parents, mostly taking in the history of the banks, which includes the tallest lighthouse in North America, the remnants of the pirate Blackbeard's hideouts, and the site of the first flight by the Wright brothers.
- Pros:sand, history, and the Atlantic ocean
- Cons:Very touristy at times, can be crowded (especially on weekends), long drives to get there/around
Ocracoke island lies just beyond Cape Hatteras, and has its own wonderful creations to discover (small hiking trails,... more travel advice
The Cape Hatteras lighthouse is a monster. About the size of a 12-story building, the lighthouse towers above the sandy... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Cape Hatteras National Seashore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sandy Strips of Land"
- "Cape Hatteras National Seashore"
- "The First National Seashore"
- "Our first National Seashore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Hatteras National Seashore
- Hotels in Cape Hatteras National Seashore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape Hatteras National Seashore
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Cape Hatteras National Seashore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Photos in Cape Hatteras National SeashoreSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos