"Nature In the Midwest" Kickapoo State Park by HasTowelWillTravel
Kickapoo State Park Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 10 photos
No one really associates the midwest with natural beauty. Most assume that the west holds a lock on those national assets. And usually it's hard to blame them. After the grandeur of Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Olympic, Zion, it's hard to compete. Moving to the midwest, I was afraid I'd miss out on the great natural opportunities our country has to offer. Luckily I was wrong. Tucked into various places in the midwest, great, if subtle, parks fulfill the adventurer's desire to get outdoors. Kickapoo State Park in eastern Illinois is one of those places.
Kickapoo park has a variety of things to offer someone wanting to escape. Kayaking, canoing, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, camping. You name it, it's there. Right at your fingertips. Reasonably priced and tons of fun.
It is a park that is very family-friendly. During my last visit, the vast majority of campsites were occupied by families with young kids, making it a relaxed and easy-going environment. The campgrounds are strictly no alcoholic beverages, the concession that rents boats inspects for excess alcohol (only 3 beers per person allowed). This, I believe, helps keep out the crazy party people which ruin parks for the rest of us.
The park is ideally located as well, less than 30 minutes from the Champaign-Urbana area, and less than 2 hours from Chicago or Indianapolis. So go on and get outdoors. You won't be disappointed.
Update September 2008 - Kickapoo is on the list of parks to be closed due to 'lack of funds' by the State of Illinois. If you have been to this park, or plan to go, please take a minute to visit one of several sites below, and voice your opinion on keeping the park up and running.
Governor - Rod Blagojevich:
52nd District State Senator - Mike Frerichs:
- Pros:easy access, beautiful nature, relaxing time
- Cons:many families can be noisy
- In a nutshell:surprising fun in the midwest
During the warm summer months, the dock at Kickapoo Landing offers a variety of local gigs and bands. It is fun, with... more travel advice
The food at the cafe at Kickapoo State Park, also run by the concession Kickapoo Landing, is a good respite from... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Kickapoo State Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kickapoo State Park
- Hotels in Kickapoo State Park
- Restaurants in Kickapoo State Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kickapoo State Park
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Kickapoo State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kickapoo State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos