"A Park of Austere Beauty" Death Valley National Park by HasTowelWillTravel
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide: 897 reviews and 1,933 photos
Death Valley often gets a bad rap, from its name and reputation of being a hot, dreary place. Well, that can be true in the middle of July, when temperatures can soar above 40oC (120F), but there are plenty of times when it is quite comfortable to visit, and can be a beautiful environ to explore. There are many geological wonders to be found here that are rare if not unique in the world; the lowest point in North America (-282 feet); rocks that move seemingly on their own (the Racetrack); lovely white formations from when there was actually water in the area; and huge sand dunes that evoke feelings of the Sahara desert.
The springtime is a perfect time to explore Death Valley; it is warm (mid 70s-80sF, 20-25C) and beautiful all around. You can escape winter of where you live and see the sand dunes. There is even a short flower bloom in Death Valley which transforms it to a living landscape of color.
- Pros:Good hiking, beautiful desert scenery, remote backpacking
- Cons:Hot in summer, far from civilization to drive
- In a nutshell:Often misunderstood, worthy of exploring
Sunrise is the best time to visit the park. For one thing, you beat the heat, and the crowds, which are both important... more travel advice
On the western side of the Panamint Range lies a series of interesting canyons. Even when the rest of Death Valley has... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Death Valley National Park Page"
- "Death Valley ? No, a valley of flowers !"
- "~ Blooming with life!~"
- "Into the Valley of Death..."
- "Death Valley - Land of Beauty and Contrasts"
- "Death Valley"
- "Multiple Colors in the "Death" Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Death Valley National Park
- Hotels in Death Valley National Park
- Transportation in Death Valley National Park
- Nightlife in Death Valley National Park
- Restaurants in Death Valley National Park
- Shopping in Death Valley National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Death Valley National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Death Valley National Park
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Death Valley National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Death Valley National Park
Photos in Death Valley National ParkSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
Latest Death Valley National Park hotel reviews
- Stovepipe Wells Village
- 419 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
- 1542 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Furnace Creek Campground
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Sunset Campground
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 8, 2012
- Mesquite Springs Campground
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013