"Undeniable Beauty" Denali National Park and Preserve by HasTowelWillTravel
Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Guide: 321 reviews and 602 photos
The natural splendor of Denali is hard to quantify. It gives the air of an isolated ruggedness, a northern expanse of unique ecosystems. It is a rich wilderness, with a variety of life that one would not initially expect in such a place. Denali has an area of dense forest, taiga, comprised mostly of evergreen spruce trees mixed in with some deciduous birch and aspens. Further out from the entrance, it devolves into tundra, a wide expanse of deep pockets of lichen and other vegetation.
The one constant feature of the landscape that I observed on this trip is mountains. Everywhere you turn you are greeted by looming peaks, a visual reminder of the area's glorious but violent past, geologically speaking. Some are rounded, showing their eventual acceptance of the wear and tear of snow and rain, and are now covered in vegetation. Others stand tall, granite spires holding glaciers that seem to pierce the sky.
This includes Denali itself, a behemoth to behold. Denali's base is wide, littered with glaciers and ravines. It looks like a huge, glorious peak, and at 20,320' it fits the bill for a grand North American peak.
Denali's biodiversity is not quite as great as other areas of the world, the tropics for instance. But it holds those animals which are held in much esteem and shrouded in mystery for people in the United States. The 'big 5' of Denali are the grizzly bear, wolf, moose, caribou, and Dall's sheep. Since the park administrators have endeavored to keep the park as wild as possible, there is still a good chance of seeing these animals in their native habitat. I came across a sow grizzly and her cub while hiking in the backcountry; that was quite an experience.
- Pros:Wide open spaces, fabulous hiking, great adventure
- Cons:Few amenities available. Everything is expensive
- In a nutshell:Denali: the last frontier?
Denali's bus system can be a little daunting to those not familiar with it. Indeed, when I was planning my trip, it... more travel advice
This is another of the few trails near the entrance to the park that are marked. This trail drops down among the taiga... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The High One and Higher Expectations"
- "Denali National Park"
- "Denali National Park - The Great One"
- "Denali: America's Most Accessible True Wilderness"
- "Denali National Park"
- "Denali - July"
- "Undeniable Beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Hotels in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Transportation in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Nightlife in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Restaurants in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Shopping in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Denali National Park and Preserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Denali National Park and Preserve
- 13 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Denali National Park and Preserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Posted in Travel Belize Forum "Re: Belize for 4 days: where to..."
- updated a Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Page "Undeniable Beauty"
- Wrote a Review Shuttle Bus System - Savage River Bus about Buses in Denali National Park and Preserve Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shuttle Bus System - Green Bus"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos