"Tiny Aleutian Island" Akutan by HasTowelWillTravel
Akutan Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 20 photos
Akutan island is without a doubt the hardest location to get to I've ever come across. I spent 3 days in July trying to fly out to the island, all stymied by weather. Even in September, I was delayed a full day due to weather. The flight to the island is low, so any low-lying clouds or fog will disrupt the flight pattern.
But the island is beautiful once you arrive. Steep green fields and hills, no trees in sight. The village is small, about 80 people, connected by boardwalk to everything. A tiny, idyllic place.
- Pros:Calm, great hiking
- Cons:Isolated, small
To get to Akutan, you must take the seaplane. It is a low-flying affair, and thus is very susceptible to weather... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Akutan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Akutan Page"
- "Tiny Aleutian Island"
- "Small Village - Big Processing Plant"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akutan
- Hotels in Akutan
- Transportation in Akutan
- Nightlife in Akutan
- Restaurants in Akutan
- Warnings and Dangers in Akutan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akutan
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Akutan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akutan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos