"Main Region, with Jewels a-plenty" Provincia de Pichincha by HasTowelWillTravel
Provincia de Pichincha Travel Guide: 1,275 reviews and 4,020 photos
This lodge was the focus of my visit to Ecuador this past January. Located inside the province of Imbabura, about 90 minutes northwest of Quito, The Maquipucuna Foundation comprises a reserve of 6,000 hectares. This reserve, consisting of both primary and secondary cloud forests, serves as the base camp for a number of ecologically friendly education for Ecuadoreans, as well as ecotourism.
The foundation helps to promote ecologically responsible methods of tourism and living. They run workshops to help assist local farmers in organic methods of crop production. There is a bird-friendly, shade-grown organic coffee farm not too far away. They offer a multitude of hiking and birdwatching activities throughout the reserve. They run an orchid farm and propagation laboratory, helping to maintain rare orchids and prevent their extinction. Even their lodge is ecologically produced, made from local, sustainable bamboo varieties with a kitchen supplied from their organic farm.
It is a great area to visit and explore, I highly recommend it.
One of the great things about the forest surrounding the Maquipucuna Reserve is the abundance of avian creatures. In... more travel advice
This trail is a short, pleasant hike from the road leading up to the Maquipucuna Lodge. About 1km before the bridge,... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Provincia de Pichincha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Provincia Pichincha"
- "Rucu Pichincha and Pasochoa"
- "Main Region, with Jewels a-plenty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Pichincha
- Hotels in Provincia de Pichincha
- Transportation in Provincia de Pichincha
- Nightlife in Provincia de Pichincha
- Restaurants in Provincia de Pichincha
- Shopping in Provincia de Pichincha
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Pichincha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Pichincha
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Provincia de Pichincha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Pichincha
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos