"A Small Capital in a Mountain Land" Top 5 Page for this destination Thimphu by HasTowelWillTravel
Thimphu Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 170 photos
Thimphu may be the most unique capital I've seen. It is probably the only, or at least one of a very few, world capitals without a traffic light, airport, or fast food restaurant. (The traffic, when needed, is directed by hand by police officers.) The city itself is nestled within a narrow valley, though development is forcing building up the steep hillsides surrounding the main center. The houses and buildings are done in a traditional Bhutanese style, often with paintings and stylistic embellishments on the columns and roof tops.
Yet it is the main base of operations for persons visiting in the country. So, before you head off on a trek across the mountains, take some time to explore this city, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Along Nordzin Lam Road, the main street of the capital city, there are shops that cater to virtually any shopping desire... more travel advice
In 2003, Bhutan was pushed towards war. Indian rebels were hiding in Bhutan, and the Indian government had given Butan... more travel advice
HasTowelWillTravel's Related Pages
Thimphu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Quite Rural But Booming Capital"
- "Capital city of Bhutan"
- "A Small Capital in a Mountain Land"
- "Thimpu - Bhutan's Capital City"
- "01-Thimpu ? The Dragon Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thimphu
- Hotels in Thimphu
- Nightlife in Thimphu
- Restaurants in Thimphu
- Shopping in Thimphu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thimphu
- 11 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Thimphu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thimphu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Collins Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Seldovia Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Champaign Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Custer State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caye Caulker Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos