"A small town with rich history" Berdychiv by om_212
Berdychiv Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Berdychiv (rus. Берди́чев, polish. Berdyczów, їдиш בערדיטשעוו) is a town of apr. 90,000 inhabitants in Zhytomyr oblast. it's quite difficult to see in this sleepy provincial place a vibrant city, with boosting trade, 10 yearly fairs, with yearly income of 20 mln rubles (it's not a mistake). to breath in the spirit of the multi-culturalism created by melting of Russian, Ukrainian, Polish and Jewish cultures. Even harder it is to imagine that the city was the fourth in prominence and population after Kyiv, Odesa and Kharkiv.
nevertheless, the place definitely deserves a one day trip from Kyiv (or Zhytomyr) to enjoy some of the interesting pieces of architecture, like 17th century fortified Carmelite convent, the St. Barbara. church and many others.
the life of at least three prominent writers of the 19th century is connected with Berdychiv.
Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski), who is regarded as one of the great novelists in English, was born in Berdychsv.
Sholem Aleichem, a leading Yiddish author and playwright, lived in this city after his marriage, and described it in his works under the name of Kasrylivka.
Honoré de Balzac, a French novelist and playwright, on 14 March 1850 married Eveline Hańska (L'Étrangère) in the Berdychiv parish church of St. Barbara.
om_212's Related Pages
Berdychiv Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berdychiv
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Berdychiv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berdychiv
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 70 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 36 reviews, 84 photos
- Zhovkva Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Olesko Intro, 8 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyy Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syros Island Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos