"City of Lions and Open Hearts" Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv by om_212
Lviv Travel Guide: 761 reviews and 2,466 photos
Lviv.. one of very special cities of my life..
it's a city where my father was born just couple days after the IIWW has began..
the first memories about Lviv are connected with my childhood. then Lviv was a synonym of the holiday, during which I would come to visit my grandparents. the places I remember that impressed me then were visits to St. Yura (George) Cathedral and Yanivske cemetery. another impressive thing about Lviv for me as a child (much more mundane :) was that one could buy “delicatessen” there - butter (!) and coffee (!) - rear products in Soviet times for a small town where I lived.
later Lviv has become a synonym of coloful carefree students life, composed of music, English, French, Polish, coffee time, partying, trying to get a tourist guide license, and of course LOVE :) during 8 years I have lived there, some things have progressed, some have never been accomplished. I have changed my mind about many things, but one thing I hope I will never change my mind about - desire to coming back to Lviv.
to come back for several reasons: to wonder around it's narrow streets and rejoice every time when I see an old building restored and to cry for the each one that had fallen down; to hear people speaking good Ukrainian, while still addressing each other "pan" (sir) or "pani" (madam) and responding 'bud-laska' (you are welcome aka god bless) in response to thank you; to have a cup of Turkish coffee and enjoy the best "syrnyk" (cheese-cake); to drop on my friends heads without prior calling and still be welcomed; to see people (including young ones) going to a church on Sundays not because thay have to but because they believe it's part of their values; and for many other reasons that I have or will have as I continue to explore this city of lions and open hearts...
I thought it would never happen, at least not in my life time. But alas, globalization, slowly but surely, is creeping... more travel advice
A few restaurants in Ukraine enjoyed so much controversy as Kryivka. The brilliant idea, to combine a controversial... more travel advice
- See All Ukrainian Train Hospitality
- See All Lviv Web Resources in English
- See All super cheap flight from Kyiv to Lviv
- See All Staroevreiska - Old Jewish St: The...
om_212's Related Pages
Lviv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gateway to the West"
- "Lviv - The princely city of Western Ukraine"
- "Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour"
- "City of Lions and Open Hearts"
- "Lviv - the city of the East and the West"
- "Lwow (Lviv) City of Lion and Dreams"
- "VAs in Lviv 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lviv
- Hotels in Lviv
- Transportation in Lviv
- Nightlife in Lviv
- Restaurants in Lviv
- Shopping in Lviv
- Warnings and Dangers in Lviv
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lviv
- 44 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Lviv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lviv
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 70 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 36 reviews, 84 photos
- Zhovkva Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Olesko Intro, 8 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyy Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syros Island Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos