"City of Lions and Open Hearts" Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv by om_212

Lviv Travel Guide: 761 reviews and 2,466 photos

Lviv.. one of very special cities of my life..

it's a city where my father was born just couple days after the IIWW has began..

the first memories about Lviv are connected with my childhood. then Lviv was a synonym of the holiday, during which I would come to visit my grandparents. the places I remember that impressed me then were visits to St. Yura (George) Cathedral and Yanivske cemetery. another impressive thing about Lviv for me as a child (much more mundane :) was that one could buy “delicatessen” there - butter (!) and coffee (!) - rear products in Soviet times for a small town where I lived.

later Lviv has become a synonym of coloful carefree students life, composed of music, English, French, Polish, coffee time, partying, trying to get a tourist guide license, and of course LOVE :) during 8 years I have lived there, some things have progressed, some have never been accomplished. I have changed my mind about many things, but one thing I hope I will never change my mind about - desire to coming back to Lviv.

to come back for several reasons: to wonder around it's narrow streets and rejoice every time when I see an old building restored and to cry for the each one that had fallen down; to hear people speaking good Ukrainian, while still addressing each other "pan" (sir) or "pani" (madam) and responding 'bud-laska' (you are welcome aka god bless) in response to thank you; to have a cup of Turkish coffee and enjoy the best "syrnyk" (cheese-cake); to drop on my friends heads without prior calling and still be welcomed; to see people (including young ones) going to a church on Sundays not because thay have to but because they believe it's part of their values; and for many other reasons that I have or will have as I continue to explore this city of lions and open hearts...

• Last visit to Lviv: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2010

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I hope to visit that city one day!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Thanks for the tour of Lviv, Olya! The views over the city look amazing! I hope the Euro 2012 is a success for Ukraine and makes more people aware of the beauty of cities such as Lviv.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Excellent information Olya, I'm getting very excited about our visit :-)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2010 at 10:56 AM

What a wonderful looking city with all its architecture beauty and old traditions. Maybe someday we can get over there to see for ourselves. You did a great job of presenting the sites and comments are helpful. I communicate with Hunter V a lot an

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Thanks for your great page about that magnificent city....See you in Lviv (hopefully!)....

• EuromeetKrakow2010's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Just one word: FANTASTIC! Thanks a lot, you gave me next suggestions for our Lviv Meet on 1-2 June!

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Wow, You made very nice with wonderful pic's Lviv Page. Thanks

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Excellent start for anyone thinking about visiting Lviv!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Dobre pages Pani. And birthday greetings from Alaska. Was in Lviv in 91, shortly after the fall of Soviet Union. Had a Polish cousin doing some grey market deal with cassettes.

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM

Excellent page with lots of information - thank you.

om_212

“Always ready to travel! (just give me 30 min. to pack :)”

Badges & Stats in Lviv