" The Southern Capital of Ukraine" Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa by om_212
Odessa Travel Guide: 509 reviews and 1,318 photos
The Southern Palmira, the Black Sea Pearl, the small Paris, all these names have been attributed to Odesa.
According to European standards, Odesa is a relatively a young city. Founded in 1794 by Catharine II, when she decided that Russia needs a Black Sea port to gain the access to Europe.
Prior to that, the territory had been inhabited by Greeks (4 cent. BC), then Crimean Tatars and later by Turks, who named it Khadjebei and built here a Yeni Dunya fortress.
Khadjebei was captured in 1789 under the command of Jose de Ribas, a Spaniard who became a Russian admiral and played a major part in the victory. Later Jose de Ribas, one of the founders and the first governor of Odessa, is aknowledged by the most prominent street through the heart of Odessa - Deribasovskaya Street.
Thanks to favorable geographical location and talented city administrators, like Risheliu, Vorontsov and others, Odesa quickly developed into a trade and industrial center. By its centennial anniversary Odesa become one of four major cities of the Russian Empire, along with St. Petersburg, Moscow and Warsaw.
The two world wars and the soviet time had its negative toll on Odessa’s development, but the city is catching up. Lengthy sandy beaches, vibrant night life and excellent restaurant scene make the city a major tourist attraction.
Vibrant night life and an excellent restaurant scene make Odesa a major tourist summer destination. Lengthy golden sand beaches of Dristrovsky estuary (to the west from Odesa, in Belgorod-Dnistrovsky direction) are definately the best in Ukraine.
A density and variety of restaurants on and off Deribassovskaya, the Odessa central street, blows your mind and waters your mouth ( diversity and reasonable prices makes Kyivite and tourists). Steakhouse, we have passed by a Turkish Restarant, Irish Pub, Yokohamma (Japanese and Tai), Ukrainian "Lasunka" and 'Kampot," a Caribbean "Fidel" and numerous street cafes. places get full very quickly and even off the season. so come early or make your reservation in advance.
the one-wall house, the flat house, the witch's house are the names granted to the unusual house in Vorontsov Lane... more travel advice
Zatoka (Bay) is a natural sand spit, washed by the Black Sea from the south, and by fresh waters of the Dniester and... more travel advice
om_212's Related Pages
Odessa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Humor"
- "0dessa - a visionary metropolis..."
- " The Southern Capital of Ukraine"
- "La plus méditerranéenne des villes d'Europe"
- "The pearl of the Black Sea"
- "Odessa on the Black Sea"
- "Me & My previous ship in the Background"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Odessa
- Hotels in Odessa
- Transportation in Odessa
- Nightlife in Odessa
- Restaurants in Odessa
- Shopping in Odessa
- Warnings and Dangers in Odessa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Odessa
- 36 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Odessa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Odessa
Photos in OdessaSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 70 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 36 reviews, 84 photos
- Zhovkva Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Olesko Intro, 8 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyy Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syros Island Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos