"The Heart of Trypillia Civilization" Rzhyshchiv by om_212
Rzhyshchiv Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 12 photos
A little town, 80 km south off Kyiv. It's a MUST for people who are interested in ancient civilizations and archeology.
Rzhyschiv, along with Trypillia (40 km south of Kyiv), is a part of the Trypillia tourist route - Kyiv-Trypillya-Rzhyshchiv–Ulyaniki–Kaniv-Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky.
History played an unfair trick with Rzyschiv. Despite the fact that most of archeological diggings and artifacts Khvoika has found in Rzhyschiv, he named the civilization after another place - a little village of Trypillia. My speculation is that he most likely he found the name Trypillia more appealing (Trypillia is translated as the area of three fields, while Rzhyschiv can be translated as the “whinnying” area).
Currently, the archeological diggings are continuing. The best time to visit a city in spring or summer time, especially around Ivana Kupala (July 7), when the Rzhyschiv Vinok (Rzyschiv Wreath) archeological and ethnic festival is held.
- Pros:archeological paradise, green tourism
- Cons:poor (almost non-existant) tourist infrustructure
- In a nutshell:good for a one-day trip en route to Kaniv or Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky
The Trypillya Archeology Museum hosts Trypillian civilization artifacts (statuettes, ceramics, day-to-day agrarian... more travel advice
om_212's Related Pages
Rzhyshchiv Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Rzhyshchiv
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Rzhyshchiv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rzhyshchiv
Photos in RzhyshchivSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 70 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 36 reviews, 84 photos
- Zhovkva Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Olesko Intro, 8 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyy Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syros Island Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos