" Famagusta, a City of Unique Cultural Blend " Top 5 Page for this destination Famagusta by om_212
Famagusta Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 192 photos
Famagusta (aka Gazi Maguza, Magosa) is of the finest examples of mediaeval city, where east and west, Christianity and Islam, Asian and European features blended together ia unique bitter-sweet cultural "cocktail."
285 BC - founded by King Ptolemy Philadelphus of Egypt
1300 to 1400 - the golden age of Famagusta, time of the Crusades and Lusignan dynasty rule in Cyprus
After 1400 - rival factions of Genoese and Venetian merchants settled there. The Genoese caused much strife until finally the Venetians took command of all Cyprus and transferred the capital from Nicosia to Famagusta in 1489
1570 - a year-long siege by the Ottoman armada
1571 - 1878 - Ottoman Turkish rule
1878-1960 - British colonial rule
1960-1974 - inter-communal strife between Greek-Cypriots and Turkish-Cypriots which concluded in 1974 with the Turkish-Cypriot rule in North Cyprus
- Pros:great medieval city with a lot of tourist potential
- Cons:unsufficent tourism infrustructure (hotels, restaurants, etc.)
- In a nutshell:one day it will shine again!
The monastery, situated on the north-east most point of the island known as the Cape of Saint Andrea (Cape Zafer,... more travel advice
On the way back from Apostolos Andreas Monastery (half way to Famagusta) we have noticed a path and a something... more travel advice
om_212's Related Pages
Famagusta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Famagusta (Gazimagusa)"
- " Famagusta, a City of Unique Cultural Blend "
- "CHARMING GAZIMAGUSA (FAMAGUSTA)"
- "Not just a university town"
- "Gazimagusa....ancient town of churches."
- "Famagusta memories."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Famagusta
- Hotels in Famagusta
- Transportation in Famagusta
- Restaurants in Famagusta
- Shopping in Famagusta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Famagusta
- 6 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Famagusta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Famagusta
Photos in FamagustaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 70 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 36 reviews, 84 photos
- Zhovkva Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Olesko Intro, 8 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyy Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syros Island Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos