"Moj Kupresu visoka ravnino" Kupres by elae
Kupres Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 187 photos
The highest settlement in central-west Bosnia is home to the country's most rugged inhabitants. At 1,200m above sea level, Kupres is covered in snow for at least five months of the year.
he long and bare valley of Kupresko Polje creates harsh winter conditions. It also makes Kupres a main winter recreation destination in western Bosnia. A very rich aspect of Bosnian Croat culture has emerged in this tiny town between Bugojno and Livno. Many of the traditions that are only performed for folk shows in other places are regularly practiced here. The old methods of farming are celebrated on the first Sunday of each May with the Strljanica competition. Expansive fields of long grass are hacked down with traditional sickles to see who is the most skilled in quick cutting. It may seem funny but try it out and you will see not only the skill needed but also the tremendous back and forearm strength that the 'sport' requires. Kupres is known throughout the country for this annual event. Horse races, an almost forgotten rural event, happen each year in the fields of Kupres as well.
The traditional Ganga and Becarac song of the hajduks can often be heard echoing through the valley. Due to the high altitude, many of the local residents cannot rely on farming for a living and often partake in sheep-raising. Most folks from in and around Kupres will attest to the great grilled lamb and sheep's cheese prepared in the traditional Kupres way. If you have the opportunity to eat with a local family, don't pass it up. Kupres is a transit town from central Bosnia to Livno and the Adriatic coast. Daily buses to and from Vitez and Travnik stop in Kupres if requested.
***the lake is in JAPAGE, it is a special area with a lot of rare protected plants,very unique and beautiful***
If you want to see the whole area and some really RARE plants visit my TRAVELOGUE - down under :)
- Pros:it is where my heart is
- In a nutshell:mountains, mAgic, moonlight,
when in Kupres don't miss to try the cakes and other sweet stuff in Restaurat Kraljica!!!you can also order birthday... more travel advice
and now about some art in kupres *** Josip Turalija is an artist who who makes wooden work of art and he is also... more travel advice
- Warm clothes in Winter
- See All home made liquers - domaci likeri
- See All pizzeria kuna
- See All ski centre stozer
- See All Stecak stones in Rasticevo
- See All Bazaar every monday 8 am- 2pm
elae's Related Pages
Kupres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Moj Kupresu visoka ravnino"
- "KUPRES-where it snowed every month of the year!"
- "kupres the highest town in bosnia"
- "I used to live in Kupres before the war in Bosnia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kupres
- Hotels in Kupres
- Transportation in Kupres
- Nightlife in Kupres
- Restaurants in Kupres
- Shopping in Kupres
- Warnings and Dangers in Kupres
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kupres
- 67 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kupres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kupres
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL „DAYS..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "tattoos of Croatian women in Bosnia -Bosnian tatoo"
- updated a Kupres Travelogue "Croatian Tattoo Traditions"
- Wrote a Review Warm clothes in Winter in Kupres What to Pack
- Commented on one of Iksi's Kupres travel pages
Photos in KupresSee All Photos (169)
Top 10 Pages
- Kupres Intro, 67 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Zadar Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sibenik Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trogir Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Begovo Selo Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Split Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Uskoplje Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos