"Marvellous Mascarene Island" Mauritius by janiebaxter
Mauritius Travel Guide: 1,391 reviews and 3,646 photos
Mauritius in the second largest island in the Mascarenes group, Reunion being the largest, lying in the Indian Ocean east of Madagascar. It is 65km by 45km and surrounded by coral reefs with mountains in the centre, giving a diversity of climate and activities for tourists. The Dutch were the first real colonisers of the island followed by the French and the British.
The Dutch introduced sugar cane in the late 1600’s and were also supposedly responsible for the demise of the endemic Dodo. The French built the harbour at Port Louis and developed the sugar cane industry. When the British took over they abolished slavery in 1835 and imported paid workers from India to work in the plantations who became the largest ethnic group on the island.
There are many luxury hotels on the island and it is an ideal location for a luxury beach holiday with white sandy beaches, coral reefs, clear blue sea and a warm tropical climate.
Although the Dodo is now extinct there are a few endemic birds still left on the island – the pink pigeon, olive white eye, Mauritius Kestrel and the Mauritius Fody. If you visit Ile aux Aigrettes you will see many of these as well as the giant tortoises. You can see the endemic Mauritius Fruit Bat in the Pamplemousse Botanical Gardens.
Snorkelling is good in Mauritius, although nowhere near as good as the Maldives. We saw plenty of fish of many different varieties and spent a pleasant couple of hours each afternoon on the reef.
- Pros:Weather, Snorkelling, Scenery, Plenty to see
- Cons:Very very expensive!
- In a nutshell:Perfection at a price
The botanical gardens are named after the former prime minister and governor of Mauritius who was cremated there, before... more travel advice
If you want to try typical Mauritian food this is a great place to go. We visited at lunchtime as part of a day trip to... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Mauritius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " MAURITIUS PARADISE ON EARTH "
- "Holiday paradise meets ecological nightmare"
- "Canuckmike's Trip to Mauritius"
- "Ile Maurice"
- "DEEP BLUE SOMETHING... THE PARADISE DIARIES"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mauritius
- Hotels in Mauritius
- Transportation in Mauritius
- Nightlife in Mauritius
- Restaurants in Mauritius
- Shopping in Mauritius
- Warnings and Dangers in Mauritius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mauritius
- 13 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Mauritius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauritius
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos
Top Mauritius hotels
- Mauritius Hotels
- 127 Reviews - 275 Photos
- Grand Baie Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 184 Photos
- Centre de Flacq Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Mahébourg Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 76 Photos
- Mont Choisy Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 33 Photos
- Grande Gaube Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Flic-en-Flacq Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 97 Photos
- Poste de Flacq Hotels
- 1 Review - 5 Photos
- Pointe aux Cannoniers Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Trou d' Eau Douce Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Terre Rouge Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Bel Ombre Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Port Louis Hotels
- 82 Reviews - 295 Photos
- Grand Bassin Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Cap Malheureux Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 36 Photos