"Eritrea" Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea by janiebaxter
Eritrea Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 1,409 photos
Eritrea is a surprisingly easy country to visit. After the many years of war with Ethiopia I expected a war-torn downtrodden country, but was surprised to see how quickly it has rebuilt itself into a vibrant, safe and friendly place.
Asmara is charming and combines modern architecture with the art deco buildings built in the era of the Italian occupation. There is plenty to see and do there and the hotel accomodation is good - if you want five star you can get it. Things to see in Asmara include the cathedral and the mosque, the market, recycling market and tank cemetery. More details here
The Old Steam Railway built by the Italians and completed in 1911 runs from Asmara to Massawa on the Red Sea . It was closed in 1975 by the Ethiopians until 2003 when it was re-opened with the old track and the trains restored to working order. It is a great way to see the countryside and the remote villages.
Keren is easy to get to from Asmara and is a very pleasant hill town with an old and new cathedral, fascinating and busy camel market and small villages around as well as second world war graveyards.
The red sea port of Massawa is charming and quite run down. You can see the remains of the old palace by the sea and the old town has some interesting old buildings, a market and an old house built from coral.
- Pros:Friendly, good infrastructure
- Cons:Some parts in need of restoration
Massawa is a very run down in parts but despite that, has a certain charm and it is worth spending at least one night... more travel advice
The old steam railway line runs from Asmara to Massawa, on the red sea coast and uses the original old trains and track.... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Eritrea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eritrea: The Forgotten Gem of Africa"
- "Saagar's Eritrea pages"
- "Won the War, Losing the Peace"
- "Eritrea: tips, hints and recommendations"
- "Eric Eritrea Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eritrea
- Hotels in Eritrea
- Transportation in Eritrea
- Nightlife in Eritrea
- Restaurants in Eritrea
- Shopping in Eritrea
- Warnings and Dangers in Eritrea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eritrea
- 17 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Eritrea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eritrea
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos