Djibouti Warnings Or Dangers Tips by janiebaxter
Djibouti Warnings and Dangers: 10 reviews and 13 photos
Whale Shark swimming towards a snorkeller
Before our first trip to find and swim with the Whale Sharks we were given a briefing and told not to get too close - not because the Whale Sharks are dangerous, but so as not to disturb them. You are not supposed to go within 3 feet of the side or front and not crowd them if there are a few of you. They are really only interested in feeding on the plankton bloom close to the surface of the water and have no teeth so could not bite if they wanted to. However they DO NOT give way to swimmers or snorkelers. If you get in their way they just keep on swimming where they want to go and they can swim faster than people wearing fins so if you are in their path you have to try and flip to the side.
At first we were very worried when we had one coming towards us but they just bump into you and swim on past. We soon got used to it. Often we were just snorkelling and a Whale Shark would bump us, appearing from nowhere. They don’t hurt at all and feel quite soft for such a big creature. It’s a bit like being jostled in a market!
The roads, once outside of Djibouti City are very bad and quite dangerous. Our day trip to Lac Assal took us along the main route for the trucks coming from the Port to Ethiopia and not only is the road crowded with lines of trucks, often you have to take a detour off road onto a temporary surface which is tarred and full of boulders and stones.
We passed many bashed up crashed vehicles at the side of the road and were very glad we had a driver and 4WD.
Added to this there are many military convoys passing which everybody seems to give way to.
More Reviews (24)
- Staying on a Dive Boat - but only...
- See All Security at Addis Ababa Airport
- See All Geology of Djibouti
- See All Explosions, Planes and Helicopters!
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Djibouti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S HOT !"
- "Djibouti: Africa's Worst Tourist Trap"
- "Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this"
- "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- "In A Different World"
- "Djibouti - Frowsty, Dirty, Costly but Comestible"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djibouti
- Hotels in Djibouti
- Transportation in Djibouti
- Nightlife in Djibouti
- Restaurants in Djibouti
- Shopping in Djibouti
- Warnings and Dangers in Djibouti
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bhilai Hotels
- Beirut Hotels
- Swakopmund Hotels
- Las Galletas
- Prefecture of Magnisia
- Newtown Monasterboice Hotels
- Lyon Warnings and Dangers
- Tirana Warnings and Dangers
- Niigata Warnings and Dangers
- Veracruz Warnings and Dangers
- Queenstown Warnings and Dangers
- Yekaterinburg Warnings and Dangers
- French Guiana Warnings and Dangers
- Tortola Warnings and Dangers
- Ulaanbaatar Warnings and Dangers
- Debrecen Warnings and Dangers
- Barranquilla Warnings and Dangers
- Airlie Beach Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Djibouti
- 26 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Djibouti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djibouti
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos