"CAMEROON" Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon by janiebaxter
Cameroon Travel Guide: 390 reviews and 766 photos
Cameroon is Africa in Miniature with elements of both West and Central Africa and with terrain ranging from lush tropical rainforest in the South, mountains, hilly fertile grasslands in the West and savannah and volcanic mountains in the North. Its coastline lies on the West Coast of Africa in the Gulf of Guinea and it shares borders with Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Congo and Central African Republic in the South and Nigeria and Chad in the North. It is around twice the size of the UK.
Culturally Cameroon is as diverse as its terrain with many tribes, cultures and religions co-existing happily. The Baka “pygmies" live in the forests of the South and near the coast and are the oldest known tribe in Cameroon. They still follow their traditional way of life – hunting and living off what the rainforest provides. The people of the grasslands are the Bamoun and other tribes descended from the Bantu people. Here the chiefdoms, which date from the time when the country was not called Cameroon but was divided into many separate kingdoms, are still incredibly important and there are many palaces still existing. The Bamileke people are the main tribe in the Southwest. In the North the main tribe is the Fulani who were originally nomadic cattle herders and are Muslims. We spent 2 days staying in a Fulani village and this was one of the main highlights of the trip.
The diversity of Cameroons' geography and climate is reflected in the variety of wildlife. Waza National Park in the far North is home to many animals that inhabit Savanna areas – elephant, lion, hippo, monkey giraffe, antelope and many species of birds. The rainforests of the Southeast form part of the Congo basin and contain many species of primate including Western lowland gorillas. Other primates in Cameroon include Chimpanzees, 20 species of Monkey and Drills which are one of the most endangered species. Cameroon is a wonderful place for birds, wherever you go, with over 900 species.
- Pros:plenty to see, stable, friendly people, plenty of food grown
- In a nutshell:All of Africa in one country
In the far North, Waza is close to the borders of Chad and Nigeria. The vegetation is sparse and dry with a few... more travel advice
If you are visiting the National Parks and some of the more remote areas in Cameroon you will need a 4WD vehicle. We... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Cameroon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ALL IN ONE"
- "Cameroon - Afrique en miniature"
- "Two years in Cameroon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cameroon
- Hotels in Cameroon
- Transportation in Cameroon
- Nightlife in Cameroon
- Restaurants in Cameroon
- Shopping in Cameroon
- Warnings and Dangers in Cameroon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cameroon
- 25 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Cameroon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cameroon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos
Top Cameroon hotels
- Douala Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Yaounde Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Maroua Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Limbe Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Kribi Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Kousseri Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Buea Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 2 Photos
- Bonaberi Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Bertoua Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Bamenda Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 13 Photos