"Aden" Aden Municipality by janiebaxter
Aden Municipality Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 77 photos
Most of Aden’s recent history is colonial, unlike the rest of Yemen. Aden was the main capital of the “South” of Yemen during the British period and still has some very British sights left including the graveyard, old clock and some post boxes.
It was extremely important after the Suez canal was built, and after oil was discovered it became the 3rd most important port in the world after London and New York in the 1950’s.
Aden went into decline in 1967 when the British left and the Suez canal was closed.
The unification of Yemen in 1990 led to investment in the Port of Aden to revive it.
I found Aden a disappointment as I expected more visible signs of its history and more character to the place. It is very run down and only deserves a one night stay - hotels are awful too!
Aden has been an important port since Sabaean times. During the 10th to 13th centuries Aden was a main trading port with a large population, particularly during the prosperous reign of Queen Arwa in the 11th century. The Ottomans controlled it until the British arrived in 1839. There were no signs of Aden's older history except the Al Aydrus mosque, which is modern compared to the rest of Yemen!
- Cons:Hostile people, awful hotels, scruffy, not much to see
- In a nutshell:Easy to miss out if you're short of time
Built in the first century AD to collect and manage the supply of water, the 18 tanks or cisterns are cut out of the... more travel advice
A statue of Queen Victoria sits in the middle of a rundown park area in the middle of the city. It was put away for a... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Aden Municipality Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not a must see"
- "Not a mad dog in sight"
- "Old Aden Postcards"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aden Municipality
- Hotels in Aden Municipality
- Transportation in Aden Municipality
- Restaurants in Aden Municipality
- Shopping in Aden Municipality
- Warnings and Dangers in Aden Municipality
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Aden Municipality
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Aden Municipality?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aden Municipality
Photos in Aden MunicipalitySee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos