Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Warnings Or Dangers Tips by janiebaxter Top 5 Page for this destination
Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Warnings and Dangers: 12 reviews and 9 photos
Husband before Wave threw him on his head!
When we arrived at Havelock the sea was beautifully calm with no waves. This can lull you into a false sense of security as halfway through our stay it changed and became rougher with some very big waves, making it difficult to get in and out of the sea. I don't know how unusual this is or whether it is normal for the time of year which was December/January.
If you are swimming be careful as these waves are very strong and knock you over. They break close to the shore so you are in shallow water, which is better. We noticed that they come in sets of 3 to 5 big ones then a calm space for a minute or two, which is the best time to try and get in and out of the sea. My husband got picked up by a big wave and thrown onto his head, causing severe whiplash! There is no lifeguard. Be very careful if you have small children.
Being rainforest it is expected that there will be rain. We got caught out at the furthest point of beach number 7 in the rain and it took us 30 minutes to get back to our hotel. Even if it goes cloudy, as it often does, it is difficult to tell whether it is going to rain or not. When it does rain, it is torrential and lasts from half an hour to 3 hours making everywhere very muddy. However, it is quite warm and you don't get too cold, and the mud soon dries when the sun comes out. Most lodges have umberellas for clients use around the grounds and on the beach.
Watch out for biting ants if you are sitting under the trees on beach number 7 or Niels Cove. They are quite large and very vicious! Best check the area first before you settle down. They are also on the tree branches be careful where you hang your beach gear.
There was little shade on the beaches we visited, and you have to rely on being able to find a space under the trees which are not in full shade and vary when the sun moves. The temperature in December was 30 degrees CI and when the sun was out it was very bright. If you need shade it is a good idea to take your own large umberella or sunshade.
Be careful of jellyfish at Elephant beach if you go swimming or snorkelling. They are quite small and they do sting, although if you get one sting it is painful but not so bad as to require treatment. The sting leaves a red mark for about 6 hours.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Avoiding "Delhi Belly"
- See All See Elephants on the beach
- Nice rooms and the best location
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andaman & Nicober Island: A Paradise on Earth!!"
- "Andaman and Nicobar Islands"
- "Andaman Islands - Havelock"
- "THE PLACE THAT TIME (AND TOURISTS) FORGOT..."
- "EMERALD ISLANDS"
- "The Andaman Islands"
- "Paradise in Bay of Bengal..and... Indian Ocean..!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Hotels in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Transportation in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Restaurants in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Shopping in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- See All...
Explore the World
- Chauntra Hotels
- Burton upon Trent Hotels
- Tazenakht Hotels
- Portsmouth Hotels
- Isola di Procida
- Piggs Peak
- Province of Zambales Warnings and Dangers
- Murmansk Warnings and Dangers
- Cuba Warnings and Dangers
- Chincoteague Warnings and Dangers
- People to Avoid
- Con Artists & Scams
- Kentucky Warnings and Dangers
- Disneyland / California Adventure
- Kanchanaburi Warnings and Dangers
- Malapascua Island Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- 25 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Photos in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar IslandsSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos
Top Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands hotels
- Port Blair Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 142 Photos