"Andaman Islands - Havelock" Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands by janiebaxter
Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Guide: 238 reviews and 844 photos
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are made up of 572 islands and islets with an area of 8249 sq km, 726km long and only 20km at the widest point. They are located in the Eastern Bay of Bengal and belong to India but are 1190km from Chennai and are actually closer to Myanmar and Thailand. Only 38 of the islands are inhabited. The climate is tropical with 77% humidity and temperatures between 16 and 36 degrees C and annual rainfall of 3000mm.
There are rainforests and mangroves as well as pristine coral reefs and sandy beaches and coves. 80% of the rainforest is protected including some of the tribal reserves and the islands have 2200 species of plants of which 200 are endemic including the Andaman Paduak trees.
There are 110 species of wild orchids, 198 types of coral, 1200 specis of fish, 62 types of mammals, 218 types of birds, saltwater crocodiles and reticulated pythons. Four species of turtle breed here - green, leatherback, hawksbill and olive ridley.
We stayed on Havelock Island, which is 54km North East of the capital Port Blair. There is a wide choice of accomodation on the island. Our resort, Barefoot at Havelock is situated on beach number 7 at Radhangar, which was voted the best beach in Asia by Time magazine in 2004. It is located 11km from the main jetty and is bordered by 30 metre high Mahua rainforest. The path through the forest runs parallel with the beach and we saw beautiful birds - Kingfishers, Myna birds, parrots, Kite tailed Drongos and sunbirds as well as many others, and some beautiful Lizards and butterflies.
Beach number 7 is 2km long and wider than the other beaches we visited. Next to it is Niels Cove which is excellent for snorkelling as it is calm and you can see some great fish there.
Apart from the swimming, snorkelling and diving you can go kayaking in the mangroves, walking in the rainforest, have elephant rides, do yoga classes, hire bicycles or scooters to visit other parts of the island or relax on beach number 7 and watch the world go by and enjoy the stunning sunsets over the bay, followed by an ayurvedic massage.
We travelled to The Andaman Islands with UK company Transindus.
- Pros:Great for laid back atmosphere, beaches and sea
- Cons:Poor service & you'll be disappointed if you expect luxury
- In a nutshell:Ocean, beaches reefs, wildlife and elephants
I have found Travla pills invaluable when travelling, to avoid upset stomachs and diarrhoea. I have now taken them for... more travel advice
Watch out for biting ants if you are sitting under the trees on beach number 7 or Niels Cove. They are quite large and... more travel advice
Written Jan 8, 2008
Life on Beach Number 7
Written Jan 13, 2008
Elephant Training Camp
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andaman & Nicober Island: A Paradise on Earth!!"
- "Andaman and Nicobar Islands"
- "Andaman Islands - Havelock"
- "THE PLACE THAT TIME (AND TOURISTS) FORGOT..."
- "EMERALD ISLANDS"
- "The Andaman Islands"
- "Paradise in Bay of Bengal..and... Indian Ocean..!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Hotels in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Transportation in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Restaurants in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Shopping in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- 25 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Photos in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar IslandsSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos