Manchester Off The Beaten Path Tips by janiebaxter Top 5 Page for this destination
Manchester Off The Beaten Path: 110 reviews and 197 photos
Marie Louise Gardens
Marie Louise Gardens is named after Marie Louise Silkenstadt who died young in 1904. After her death, her mother gave part of her gardens to the city in memory of her daughter.
This small garden, with horse chestnuts and other bushes and trees, is a very pleasant place to stop after work on a fine day, or at weekend, and enjoy the greenery, just off the main road.
The gardens are maintained by Manchester City Council who, unfortunately, are considering selling a part for property development!
On Palatine Road, between Didsbury and Northenden.
Parsonage Gardens is in the City centre off Deansgate and behind Kendals department store. It is on the site where St mary's Church used to be, which was built in 1756 and closed in 1890.
Surrounding the Gardens there are still some of the beautiful old city houses that the gentry of the time used to live in, mixed in with the buildings of modern Manchester.
Parsonage Gardens is a popular little green space for a people who work in the City centre to go at lunchtimes and enjoy the trees and shrubs. Manchester City Council has planted some sub tropical trees and shrubs along with the resident Hawthorn and Magnolia.
Off Deansgate on the corner of Parsonage Street and St Mary's Street.
Fletcher Moss Gardens
Fletcher Moss Gardens are hidden away behind the church in Didsbury.
Fletcher Moss was an alderman and local historian who lived in the parsonage which overlooks the gardens and he donated the gardens to Didsbury.
The gardens are split into 2 parts.
The cultivated part contains a pond, tennis courts, rockery and picnic area and the wilder part is woodland which leads onto the River Mersey footpaths.
The Old Parsonage, one of the oldest buildings in Didsbury, is the birthplace of the Royal Society for Protection of Birds and there are many species within the gardens and woodland.
There is also a pub named after Fletcher Moss in Didsbury village, just by the old dairy development.
Location: There is an entrance on Wilmslow Road, close to The Old Cock Pub, or on the way to the river past the church
More Reviews (65)
- See All Authentic African Food
- See All Home Made Cakes and Red Wine
- Cricket at Old Trafford
- See All Manchester International Festival
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Manchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Manchester page"
- "My Manchester"
- "Manchester - Full of Surprises"
- "Manchester - a versatile city"
- "Manchester and the Christmas Markets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manchester
- Hotels in Manchester
- Transportation in Manchester
- Nightlife in Manchester
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Shopping in Manchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Manchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manchester
- 68 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Manchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manchester
Photos in ManchesterSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos
- Wheel- 14 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Chinatown- 20 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Old Trafford- 33 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Museum of Science and Industry- 23 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Castlefield- 16 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Christmas Market- 23 Reviews, 81 Photos
- Salford Quays Lowry- 24 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Urbis- 16 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Cathedral- 25 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Arena- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
See All Manchester Things to Do