"Ruwenzori Mountains" Ruwenzori National Park by janiebaxter
Ruwenzori National Park Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 45 photos
My hero Richard Burton, the great African explorer and anthropologist, named the Ruwenzoris "The Mountains of the Moon" and this inspired me to want to see them. Being a lazy coward who hates the cold I felt myself very brave going to the first stage (out of 5!). The Ruwenzoris are on the Western border of Uganda and the highest point is 5100 metres, with the highest peaks being permanently covered in snow. BRrrrrrrrr
At the time I was a lot younger and fitter, and I was well prepared with walking boots and all the right gear. Yet I found this trek really hard! Our goal was only the Nyabitaba hut at 3000 metres but we seemed to be going at a really fast pace. It took us about 4.5 hours to get there and the guides were striding up the mountain like goats while I was wheezing and gasping my way at the back and frequently stopping for booster drinks of Lucozade. When we got there our porters had not arrived with our gear and we waited a long time for a cuppa tea!
The scenery changed dramatically on our 4.5 hour ascent. At the bottom were pretty huts surrounded by lush green vegetation. Then as we climbed higher I could feel it getting cooler and the trees got less but the grass was very bright lime green. Higher still the grass got more sparse and it became rocky, and there were hundreds of butterflies. Then it became more rocky and less interesting when we finally reached the hut at the first stage where we spent the night in tents.
Surprisingly, I found returning down next morning just as hard going and when I got to the bottom I was glad to be down. My guide was waiting with a beer at 11am! What a wonderful guide he was. I'll never forget Steve, and if he ever reads this, Steve these are for you XXX.
Well, you either like Mountains or you don't and this was the point I realised I don't. Sun, desert, rainforest, beach, islands for me.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery
- Cons:Hard going to even get up stage 1
- In a nutshell:I hate mountains - ask somebody else!
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Ruwenzori National Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ruwenzori National Park
- Hotels in Ruwenzori National Park
- Nightlife in Ruwenzori National Park
- Restaurants in Ruwenzori National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Ruwenzori National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ruwenzori National Park
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Ruwenzori National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruwenzori National Park
Photos in Ruwenzori National ParkSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos