Asmara Things to Do Tips by janiebaxter Top 5 Page for this destination
Asmara Things to Do: 29 reviews and 97 photos
Old Steam Train
The old steam railway line runs from Asmara to Massawa, on the red sea coast and uses the original old trains and track. The journey takes you through the beautiful mountain scenery and traditional villages.
The line was built between 1873 and 1911 by the Italians and was restored in 2003. The original drivers, signalmen and railway workers were got out of retirement to run the trains.
It's a great way to see the countryside.
The trip was organised by the Railway Touring Company in the UK who specialise in rail trips throughout the world.
Address: Railyard in Asmara
The outdoor spice market sells all kind of spices, stacked in big sacks on the stalls. The smell is fabulous, and they look really colourful.
The food market, which is indoors, is also worth a visit. There are some quite unmentionable pieces of meat on display! But also the fruit and vegetables are interesting for their variety and quality. The highlands must have good soil to grow all these. Most of the stall holders are friendly and willing to show you their goods on display and explain what they are.
Directions: Opposite the Mosque
The tank graveyard is a very large piece of overgrown land containing all the tanks that Eritrea captured from Ethiopia during the war. They are literally piled up on top of each other, rusting and abandoned. This place is a fabulous museum of recent history - it is obvious the tanks will remain here but are kept as a testament to Eritrea's determination to be an independant free nation.
Interesting to British visitors, well, our group, was the old MG midget next to the tanks.
There are no explanations on the site or the tanks and this is probably not an official tourist site, as we were shouted at by a couple who live in a disused railway carriage on the site, but is certainly worth a look.
Directions: Just outside town centre
Tin Cans made into Coffee Pans
The recycling yard is a wonderful example of how we in the first world should be doing things.
Tin cans made into coffe pans, wood, metal, shoes from car tyres, leather/fabrics...............in fact anything that can be re-used, or made into something that can, ends up here.
The yard is full of all sorts of discarded products that have been collected and then brought here to be re-fashioned and given a new lease of life.
Shoppers come here to purchase the goods, which provide a cheaper and greener option to the goods for sale in the shops.
Address: Madebar, close to city centre
More Reviews (1)
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Asmara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Asmara, Eritrea"
- "Asmara: The "Little Rome" of Africa"
- "Lovely Asmara"
- "Asmara - City of Surprises"
- "Asmara - nice people and poor country"
- "eritrea : undiscovered jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asmara
- Hotels in Asmara
- Transportation in Asmara
- Nightlife in Asmara
- Restaurants in Asmara
- Shopping in Asmara
- Warnings and Dangers in Asmara
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint Augustine Things to Do
- Windsor Things to Do
- Traverse City Things to Do
- Boracay Island Things to Do
- Ottawa Things to Do
- Mystic Things to Do
- Coron Things to Do
- Kennebunkport Things to Do
- Bukit Fraser Things to Do
- Eureka Springs Things to Do
- Killeen Things to Do
- Key West Things to Do
- Medan Things to Do
- Morro Bay Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Asmara
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Asmara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asmara
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos
Latest Asmara hotel reviews
- InterContinental Asmara
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013