"Keren The Tranquil Hilltown" Keren by janiebaxter
Keren Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos
You can visit Keren from Asmara in a day. The road is good and not too busy. It is Eritreas third largest town and is on a small plateau surronded by mountains. The camel market is worth a visit to see the camels which are used to transport wood and other goods
The hill villages around Keren are very small and traditional. People are quite shy, but don't mind you looking around. This village was a mix of Christians and Muslims - the Muslim houses had a crescent on the roof and the Christian ones a cross.
The Old Cathedral is very charming and small, and is dwarfed by the imposing new Cathedral
- Pros:Plenty to see and can be visited in a day from Asmara
- In a nutshell:A Pleasant Hill Town
The old cathedral is very small and easy to miss, being overshadowed by the new cathedral. However it is so quaint and... more travel advice
The new Cathedral is very attractive for a modern building. I'm not sure when it was built but it was fairly recently.... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Keren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keren: The Gateway to Western Eritrea"
- "Keren The Tranquil Hilltown"
- "so close to asmara ...so different"
- "Amazing Keren"
- "Keren, market town"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Keren
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Keren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Keren
Photos in KerenSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos