"Cotonou" Top 5 Page for this destination Cotonou by janiebaxter
Cotonou Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 283 photos
Cotonou sits on the Atlantic’s Bight of Benin where the sea runs inland to form a large lagoon, and is next to Lake Nakoue. It is one of the most surrounded-by-water main cities I have ever visited and is certainly unusual for an African city. The lagoon side of the city gives the impression of a small lakeside town, with fishing boats dotted around the lagoon. If you look into the lagoon in some places you can see many fish.
As soon as you leave this area and get into the main part it is a very busy and bustling city with lots of traffic and noise most of the day, and there are not a lot of tourist attractions here. However two of Benin’s main tourist attractions, Ganvie and Porto Novo, are within easy driving distance for day trips so Cotonou is a good place to base yourself for a few days if you get a nice hotel.
Cotonou is Benin’s main commercial city with the international airport and the port, as well as most government buildings. However, Porto Novo 30km away is the official capital of Benin. It was due to its deep water port that Cotonou overtook Porto Novo as the main city in the early 1900’s and the port of Cotonou is now the main port serving many of the countries along this stretch of coast.
- Pros:Close to Ganvie and Porto Novo
- Cons:Busy, noisy, not much to see
- In a nutshell:A good base for a few days
The problem with the Hotel du Port is that it is literally right next to the port of Cotonou. The view from the hotel... more travel advice
Porto Novo is only 30 km and 45 minutes drive to the East of Cotonou, close to the border with Nigeria and is actually... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Cotonou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The view from my room is SWEET"
- "Brigitte's Benin Pages"
- "ITS A MAD BUT HAPPY PLACE"
- "Cotonou, a welcoming city"
- "Cotonou, Benin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cotonou
- Hotels in Cotonou
- Transportation in Cotonou
- Nightlife in Cotonou
- Restaurants in Cotonou
- Shopping in Cotonou
- Warnings and Dangers in Cotonou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cotonou
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Cotonou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cotonou
Photos in CotonouSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos