"GRAND POPO - Laid Back and Lovely" Grand-Popo by janiebaxter
Grand-Popo Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 34 photos
Grand Popo is on the coast of Benin just 85km from Cotonou, and sits on a big wide sandy beach which stretches all the way to Lome in Togo in the other direction.
Late afternoon is a good time to take a stroll along the beach by the fishing village and look at the prettily decorated fishing boats, the nets spread along the beach, and the fishermen mending their nets for the following day.
This is a laid back, happy little town – my room faced the beach on one side and the quiet end of the road on the other and I awoke every morning to the sound of people singing as they walked along the road.
The old town of Grand Popo was quite important during the slave trade but now has many empty and derelict buildings. There are still people living there and if you walk through the side streets and explore a bit you will notice how totally charming it is.
The Mono River is 500km long and runs through Togo before getting to Grand Popo where it flows into the sea at Les Bouches du Roi. There are mangroves, lots of birds and many small villages along the river making a living from fishing and salt making, and the area is a Voodoo stronghold so you will see a quite a few temples along the river banks.
See my main Benin pages for more general information on Benin.
- Pros:Laid back, relaxed, happy, safe, plenty to see
- Cons:None at all.
- In a nutshell:Well worth a few days chilling out here
The Auberge Grand Popo has a lovely restaurant overlooking the beach, set in beautiful gardens. It is open on 3 sides to... more travel advice
We visited one of the small villages along the riverbank as part of our boat trip on the Mono River, as we couldn't get... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Grand-Popo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Grand-Popo
- Hotels in Grand-Popo
- Restaurants in Grand-Popo
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand-Popo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Grand-Popo
- 13 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Grand-Popo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand-Popo
Photos in Grand-PopoSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos