"Porto Novo" Porto-Novo by janiebaxter
Porto-Novo Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 30 photos
Porto Novo is close to the border with Nigeria, on the river Oueme and the East side of Lake Nakoue. It is actually the capital of Benin, although it is much smaller than Cotonou, and is only about 40 minutes drive and 30km from Cotonou so you can easily visit it on a day trip from there. Being so close to Lagos, many goods are brought into Porto Novo from Nigeria as prices are cheaper there for almost everything. You will see motorbikes adapted to take many cans of petrol, with the rider almost invisible in the middle. Porto Novo is very quiet and relaxed and you can walk most places. The main Voodoo gods in Porto Novo are Zangbeto and Egungun.
Porto Novo was founded in the 16th Century but was overtaken in importance in the late 19th century by Cotonou which has a deeper and larger port. The museums in Porto Novo are excellent, as all the ones I visited in Benin were, particularly the Ethnographic museum and the Royal Palace museum, which used to be the Palace of King Toffa.
A highlight of the trip to Benin, getting away from history and bringing attention right back to the present is the wonderful Songhai centre. This place has been quietly doing for years what we’ve all just started talking about – sustainable self-sufficient agriculture, running on bio-fuels. And it helps farmers in Africa
See my main Benin pages for more general information on Benin.
- Pros:Small, quiet and easy to get around
- In a nutshell:Worth a day trip if you are in Cotonou
This is the old Palace of King Toffa and his ancestors, who can be traced back to King Te-Agbalin in 1688. King Toffa... more travel advice
When you have had enough history, a visit to the Songhai centre will bring you bang up to date. This is a centre for... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Porto-Novo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porto Novo"
- "Porto Novo"
- "PORTO NOVO"
- "Colorful mosquee"
- "Capital of Benin"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porto-Novo
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Porto-Novo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porto-Novo
Photos in Porto-NovoSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos