"ALGIERS - ROMAN AND FRENCH LEGACIES" Top 5 Page for this destination Algiers by janiebaxter
Algiers Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 699 photos
My first trip to Algeria was in March 2007, and I spent a long weekend in Algiers, which has a fascinating blend of Roman and French history, culture and scenery.
The French colonial buildings are beautiful set against the blue of the Med, whilst in the centre of the city the 16th Century Kasbah with its narrow streets and old alleyways is full of atmosphere.
The French influence in Architecture is everywhere in Algiers with the boulevards of stylish white buildings which all have blue railings
The St George Hotel has many interesting features including botanical gardens and a stylish interior. It was also the place where Eisenhower and the allied generals planned the invasion of Southern Europe in 1943. There is a plaque on the wall of the room to commemorate this, as well as one outside the room Eisenhower stayed in.
- Pros:Architecture, History, plenty places to eat
- Cons:Bad traffic jams at rush hour
The famous Casbah of Algiers was built in the early 16th century as an Ottoman Fort and palace for the local ruler and... more travel advice
Martyrs Monument or Makam el Chahid is on a hill overlooking the city. It is a concrete memorial to the struggle for... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Algiers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ALGER LA BLANCHE ~*~*~ EL-DJAZAIR AL-BAHDJA"
- "Unforgetable El-Djazaïr Al-Bahdja"
- "Algiers the white, the capital of Algeria"
- "ALGIERS - ROMAN AND FRENCH LEGACIES"
- "Alger La Blanche"
- "ALGIERS LA BLANCHE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algiers
- Hotels in Algiers
- Transportation in Algiers
- Nightlife in Algiers
- Restaurants in Algiers
- Shopping in Algiers
- Warnings and Dangers in Algiers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Algiers
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Algiers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algiers
Photos in AlgiersSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos