"Al Hajara" Al Hajara` by janiebaxter
Al Hajara` Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos
Southwest of Sana’a in the Jebel Haraz area and built encircling the top of a hill, Al Hajarah is over 1000 years old and is one of the most picturesque of the Central Highland towns.
It was an important town for the Ottomans - to control the route from the Red Sea to Sana’a.
The buildings and 8 storey houses are made from huge blocks of stone cut from the mountains. It has granaries and water cisterns which used to enable the village to survive in times of siege. The houses are highly decorated with intricate white patterns and symbols on the stone work and around the windows and doors.
The streets are very narrow and steep with many steps and a lot of rubble. You can walk around and observe the local people going about their everyday life. And, yes, the donkey did go into the house! The highland people have always kept their animals on the ground floor of the house and many still do.
- Pros:Picturesque highland town
- Cons:A lot of hassle from sellers and would be guides.
This area of the highlands gets a lot of tourists as it is within driving distance from Sana'a. Consequently the... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Al Hajara`
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Al Hajara`?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Hajara`
Photos in Al Hajara`See All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos