"Al Mahwit" Al Mahwit by janiebaxter
Al Mahwit Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 14 photos
Al Mahwit is located in the Cetral Highlands area and is really pleasant place to spend time in. It has a very relaxed atmosphere and, unlike some of the more picturesque towns in the area, we were not hassled to buy anything, although people were friendly and helpful.
Around the city on the mountainsides are many plantations growing qat, along with tobacco, coffee sourgum and fruit.
Al Mahwit was a stop over on the route to Mecca in early Islamic times.
The women in this area wear black, but with a band of red around the front edge of the head cover and down the back which looks very attractive.
Although now quite a modern market town, the beautiful old houses, which are between 300 and 600 years old, tower above the town which was built high for fortification.
- Pros:Friendly, relaxed, no hassle.
- Cons:None at all.
- In a nutshell:A delightful place to saunter around
West of Mahwit in the Haraz mountains, Manakah was an important stopping place in Ottoman times for caravans travelling... more travel advice
Al Mahwit was the friendliest and most welcoming place I visited in Yemen. People were smiling and helpful, saying hello... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Al Mahwit
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Al Mahwit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Mahwit
Photos in Al MahwitSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos