"Mocha" Mocha by janiebaxter
Mocha Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Mocha was an important coffee trading town but is now much neglected, with 75% of the population earning a living from fishing. It is worth a look if you are in the area, but there is nothing much to see. It is very run down with dilapidated buildings and not many people around. A real ghost town.
Coffee first arrived in Yemen at Mocha from Abyssinia.
Initially it was drunk by the Sufis to keep them alert during their religious ceremonies. It spread across the middle East through Turkey then to Europe.
By the early 1700’s coffee was Yemen’s biggest export. The coffee was grown in the highlands and exported from Mocha to the rest of the world, as Yemen was the only place at the time that could grow the quantity required.
- Pros:The sea is nice & blue (that's the best I can do!)
- Cons:Nothing there to see
- In a nutshell:A ghost town
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Mocha Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mocha
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Mocha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mocha
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos