"Amran and the Hajja Region" `Amran by janiebaxter
`Amran Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 39 photos
The old walled city of Amran is unusual as the houses have stone foundations and lower walls while the upper parts are made of mud bricks with mud brick plaster. The walls here look smoother than in other towns in the area and the windows are less intricate.
The outer walls of the town are quite well preserved and the main gate has Sabaean inscriptions.
Amran was an important stop on the spice route.
The road from Amran to Hajjah, built by the Chinese, passes through rocky mountains with agricultural terraces most of the way and stunning, if a little scary, views down the dusty mountain road.
Among the mountains along the way are small rural villages clinging to the mountain sides
Hajja was controlled by the Zaydi’s who resisted the Ottomans when they tried to invade it, in the 17th century, for its strategic position 120 km from the Red Sea and its rich agricultural land.
When the Ottomans finally took over they left it under the control of Imam Yahir who controlled the area from the castle.
janiebaxter's Related Pages
`Amran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Often overlooked"
- "another beautiful old city after Sana'a"
- "Amran and the Hajja Region"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in `Amran
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to `Amran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in `Amran
Photos in `AmranSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos