"Ibb" Ibb by janiebaxter
Ibb Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 26 photos
Ibb sits on a hill by the Western mountains of the Southern Highlands, 194km from Sana’a.
The countryside in this area has been tribal for thousands of years and the towns were built for defence, like fortresses – perched high on the mountains for an easy view of attackers. Ibb is a typical rural hill town.
Ibb town was settled in very early Islamic times and was important during the Ottoman period as an administration centre.
The Ibb basin has a lush green landscape due to the highest rainfall on the Arabian peninsular. The agricultural terraces have been common in the area for over 5000 years. Nowadays the terraces are like smallholdings, run by families to grow sourgum, qat, millet and coffee.
They have to be maintained against the heavy rains or the walls will fall and the terraces will wash away.
Ploughing is done in the traditional way with a donkey or ox.
- In a nutshell:Interesting Agricultural Landscape
The countryside around Ibb has always been tribal. Tribal feuds continued until the 1960’s, often with families unable... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Ibb Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pictures of Ibb and Surroundings"
- "Green Land"
- "Going too fast"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ibb
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Ibb?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ibb
Photos in IbbSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos