"Jiblah" Jiblah by janiebaxter
Jiblah Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 23 photos
Jiblah is situated in the middle of two wadis, 74km north of Ta’iz.
It was the capital of the Sulayhid dynasty in the 11th and 12th centuries when Queen Arwa reigned from 1067 to 1168. She became queen after the death of her husband and moved the capital to Jiblah from Sana’a.
Under Queen Arwa, Jiblah became a prosperous trading town & centre of Islamic teaching.
Queen Arwa's family were from the Ismaili Shi’a faith which had always believed in educating women and as well as being very well educated she was a patron of artists, architects & writers.
Queen Arwa invested in many buildings and roads and made many improvements to Jiblah, adding to its importance and prosperity. Most building left today are around 300 years old and made of pinky grey stone with the average house being 5 floors high.
- In a nutshell:Made prosperous by a woman - deserves a visit!
You pass through Al Qaidah Town on the way from Ta’iz to Jibla. The main road goes straight through this small town and... more travel advice
Queen Arwa Mosque was built in 1088 and has twin minarets. It contains the tomb of Queen Arwa, which we didn't see as... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Jiblah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Queen Arwa"
- "Pictures of Jiblah"
- "Simply beautiful"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Provincia de San Cristóbal Hotels
- Doonella Lake Hotels
- Antigua and Barbuda
- County Kildare Hotels
- Salta Hotels
- Crete Island
- Bagno Vignoni
- Ramuan China Besar
- Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Odessa Hotels
- Banff National Park
- Cadlao Island
- Westoning Hotels
- Región del Maule
Badges & Stats in Jiblah
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Jiblah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jiblah
Photos in JiblahSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos