"Kawkaban, Shibam and Al Tawela" Top 5 Page for this destination Kawkaban by janiebaxter
Kawkaban Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 59 photos
Shibam and Kawkabam are situated next to each other on a high summit of the highland plain of Al Munakab, 48km from Sana'a.
The two towns are connected by a stairway and both are very old.
Kawkaban is the highest place we visited at 2900m.
It sits on a prominent stony plateau and has beautiful honey coloured stone architecture, an old citadel and some ancient cisterns.
The Turks destroyed a large part of Kawkaban and many of the fine houses are now gone.
Shibam dates from the 2nd century AD, with a mosque from 9th century.
One of the stories in The thousand and One Nights was set in Shibam and it has Sabaean inscriptions on the gate.
Al Tawela has beautifully decorated stone houses set into the rocky mountain and was an important coffee collection point from the 15th to 18th century. It sits at 2500m and is a small friendly town with a small market on Sundays and Wednesdays.
At Tawela also has Hijra status, which means that no feuds can take place within its walls.
!We were followed around Kawkabam by 3 sellers displaying their wares in wheel barrows. They were persistent to the... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Kawkaban Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kawkaban and northern Shibam"
- "Kawkaban, Shibam and Al Tawela"
- "Sanaa Day Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kawkaban
- Hotels in Kawkaban
- Transportation in Kawkaban
- Restaurants in Kawkaban
- Shopping in Kawkaban
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kawkaban
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Kawkaban?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kawkaban
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos