"Say'un" Say'un by janiebaxter
Say'un Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 71 photos
The capital of Hadramaut since the 15th century and the largest town, Say'un is surrounded by palm groves and has a long established market. The people of Hadramaut claim to be direct descendants of Noah. More recently Hadramaut was part of the South along with Aden but was under the influence of the rule of tribal sultans.
Wadi Hadramaut has old established traditions of mud brick building and making honey and you can see all these activities going on as they always did as you travel around.
The Hadramaut has one of the largest Wadi systems in Arabia which is 160km long and runs from west to east. Apart from the Wadis of Shibam, Tarim and Wadi Doan the area is desert with little rainfall.
Historically people travelled to work in India, Africa and Indonesia and traded very far – there was a trade route between Hadramaut and Babylon.
Many roads in the Hadramaut are financed by wealthy businessmen who live in Saudi. Once they have become successful, they want to show off their wealth and help their local village or town by the building of a road, a symbol of status.
Say'un is a busy modern city with plenty of traffic and an airport. You can fly here from Sana'a easily
Limestone is used to plaster walls, and around the windows and doors, often in decorative patterns. It is more expensive... more travel advice
Traditional mud bricks are used for building throughout the Hadramaut. I have also seen them in Southern Algeria, Mali... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Say'un Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Time for another lemonade."
- "Manhattan of the desert"
- "City in the Wadi"
- "Welcome to Sayun"
- "Old center of the Incense Trade Route"
- "Wadi Hadramawt and the Eastern Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Say'un
- Hotels in Say'un
- Transportation in Say'un
- Nightlife in Say'un
- Restaurants in Say'un
- Shopping in Say'un
- Warnings and Dangers in Say'un
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Say'un
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Say'un?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Say'un
Photos in Say'unSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos