"Ta'iz" Ta`izz by janiebaxter
Ta`izz Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 35 photos
Ta’iz is referred to as “The Dreaming City.” It has been inhabited since pre-Islamic times and is 1400m above sea level in the Southern Highlands
Under the Rasulid rule of 1229 to 1454 Ta'iz became the capital and enjoyed great prosperity and political power. During the Ottoman period it was an important military centre.
Ta'iz briefly became the capital again in Imam Ahmed’s reign and was the second capital city before unification, occupying an important strategic military position. A visit to Imam Ahmed's palace is a must if you are in Ta'iz
Four of the Rasulid mosques still remain in Ta'iz.
Al Muzaffar and Al Ashrifiya are the oldest and best dating from the 13th century with lovely minarets, courtyards and domes and decorated interiors.
The modern city was developed after 1962, and is now Yemen’s 3rd city. Modern day Ta’iz, like many other places in Yemen, has a water shortage and water is only supplied to the old town for a few hours every 20 days. This is surprising as Taiz receives very heavy rain in the summer months and the agriculture of the area is rich, growing plenty of food.
The houses in Ta’iz are very attractive, although not as grand, and more rustic looking than those of Sana’a. They are smaller and more square in shape, made from stone from the mountains with decorative stained glass toplites above the windows. The modern buildings are built in the style of the old ones so old and new blend in quite well together.
- Pros:A really nice city to visit, plenty to see
- In a nutshell:Worth spending 2 days here
Wadi al Dhbab weekly market is a rural market and it is very crowded with animal traders selling goats, camels, cattle,... more travel advice
A good place to watch and photograph the Sunset over the Jebel Saber mountains and the city of Ta'iz is the pool terrace... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Ta`izz Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ta`izz
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Ta`izz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ta`izz
Photos in Ta`izzSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos