"Tarim" Tarim by janiebaxter
Tarim Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 57 photos
Tarim was an important centre for the Kathiri family who ruled the area from Say'un, and it was the Hadramaut capital before Say'un.
The Palaces were mostly built between 1900 and 1940, by wealthy families who left for Saudi Arabia in the early 1960’s. They are different to the traditional tall buildings of the Hadramaut with a very classical influence much more like traditional palaces with plenty of space and columns. Stained Glass is used abundantly along with Indian and Asian style decoration, including painted ceilings and fancy lattice woodwork. All the Palaces were abandoned and are now crumbling ruins as they are made from mud brick and haven’t been maintained.
Tarim can be visited in a day from Seiyun, as it is only 35km North.
Tarim has an important religious history and has a mosque for every day of the year. It was a sunni centre of learning in the 17th to 19th centuries and there is an amazing library behind the Al Mahdar mosque.
Away from the many Palaces and Mosques in Tarim daily life goes on as usual. The combination of traditional and modern daily life can be seen with this man enjoying his breakfast at the side of the road by the shops, in the back of his pickup with a qat plant.
- Pros:Great Palaces, Incredible Mosque and Library
- Cons:A pity the palaces aren't kept in better condition
- In a nutshell:Far more interesting than Say'un
Ahmad bin Isa al-Muhajir was a sufi prophet from Basra who died around 800AD and influenced the religion of the area.... more travel advice
Al-Ahgaf Manuscript library is located in the side street just behind the Al Mahdar mosque. The library has thousands of... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Tarim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tarim's Palaces of mud"
- "The city of the 365 mosques"
- "Wadi Hadramawt and the Eastern Desert"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarim
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Tarim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarim
Photos in TarimSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos