"Kinabatangan River" Sukau by janiebaxter
Sukau Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 210 photos
The 560 km long Kinabatagan River has the greatest concentration of wildlife in Malaysia and is the second longest river. It also has some of the best wildlife in the country - over 200 species of birds, monkeys, elephants, bear, cats, reptiles, antelope, bats.......the list is almost endless. Of course you don't see all these as the forest is dense but you have a good chance of seeing a few of them if you spend several days here.
The smaller Menanggol River which is a tributary of the main river, is really exciting to explore by boat as it is very narrow in parts and you are quite close to the banks. This is where we saw most of the wildlife, although we did see elephants on the banks of the main river.
This area is one of the rare places in the world that has ten species of primate, four of them are endemic to Borneo.
The proboscis monkey is the most famous resident of the area and is found only in Borneo. It has a large red nose, a big fat belly and big webbed feet, which help it to swim and dive, which is very rare among primates.
Also easily seen are silvered langur, maroon langur and grey langur.
Reptiles in the forest are reticulated python, tortoise, freshwater terrapin, monitor lizard and crocodile, as well as snakes and many geckos. We heard jungle geckos at night in our roof - the largest gecko and very noisy at night!
- Pros:Excellent for wildlife
- Cons:Dense forest makes photos a bit difficult, leeches.
- In a nutshell:A great back to nature experience
Being very damp, there is a big danger from leeches in this area if you are exploring the forests or the river. I don't... more travel advice
janiebaxter's Related Pages
Sukau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two fantastic days on the river"
- "Where the animals used to rule"
- "Kinabatangan River"
- "An incredible wildlife experience"
- "Sukau Rainforest Lodge"
- "exploring the kinibatangan river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sukau
- Hotels in Sukau
- Transportation in Sukau
- Restaurants in Sukau
- Warnings and Dangers in Sukau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sukau
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Sukau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sukau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 64 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 68 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos
- Djibouti Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos
- Tamanrasset Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouidah Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Parish of Saint Paul Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos