Berner Alpen Favorite Tips by sandysmith Top 5 Page for this destination
Berner Alpen Favorites: 9 reviews and 9 photos
mountain view from Murren
Fondest memory: A most enjoyable and easy hike giving details of some of the mountains on view, their height and when they were first climbed can be found in Murren - the highhest village in the Jungfrau region, high above the Lauterbrunnen Valley. From Murren theere are wonderful views of the Bernese Alps.
There are more details in a travelogue on my main Switzerland page.
Fondest memory: Take an incredible ride up here for an amazing 360 degree view of the surrounding mountains and view of Lake Thun. According to the Guiness Book of World Records the stairway of 11674 steps running the length of this cable-way is the longest in the world. Climbing the steps is prohibited on safety grounds. We also met the exiled Tibetan leader up here. SEE PICS IN TRAVELOGUE.
View from Hasliberg
Favorite thing: Meiringen, the town renowned for Sherlock Holmes, makes a good base for sightseeing in the Bernese Oberland being at the convergence of three of Switzerland's major passes, Grimsel, Susten and Brunig. Here there is the cable-car that goes up to Planplatten to the Alpen Tower, via Hasliberg and Magisalp for more of those swiss alpine vistas and panoramic walks. Much more info on my Meiringen page.
This pic is taken from the suuny terrace of Hasliberg, above Meiringen - the mountains peeping through are the Eiger, Wetterhorn, Mittelhorn and Wellhorn.
looking towards the Jungfrau
Fondest memory: A favourite alpine stroll for marvellous views of the Bernese Alps was by taking the Mannlichen cable-car in Wengen and then walking - easy stroll of about an hour - to kleine Scheidegg. Here you can have great views looking towards the Jungfrau and at the train station of Kleine Scheidegg you can take the Jungfau train to the "Top of Europe".
If you enlarge this pic you can see the path we walked on and in the distance the train tracks and tunnels.
Favorite thing: A favourite trip in Kandersteg was a short cable car ride and than a 20 mins stretch (slightly uphill at first) to the beautiful Oeschiniesee. This is a glorious lake surrounded by many peaks. If you're staying in Interlaken its definitely worth the detour here. Great place for a picnic.
Favorite thing: This view of the Eiger was taken from our balcony in Grindelwald during our stay there July 2001. Absolutely wonderful to open the curtains each morning and see this view.
More Reviews (14)
sandysmith's Related Pages
Berner Alpen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berner Alpen - The heart of Switzerland"
- "Bernese Oberland Mountains"
- "Berner Alpen - picture book Switzerland"
- "Lauchernalp - Lötschental"
- "Grandmother's Walk"
- "JUNGFRAU JOURNEY"
- "Bernese Oberland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berner Alpen
- Hotels in Berner Alpen
- Transportation in Berner Alpen
- Restaurants in Berner Alpen
- Warnings and Dangers in Berner Alpen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Big Ambergris Cay Hotels
- Washington Court House Hotels
- Vlissingen Hotels
- Burwarton Hotels
Badges & Stats in Berner Alpen
- 20 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Berner Alpen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berner Alpen
Photos in Berner AlpenSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue