"Revolving around Titlis" Top 5 Page for this destination Engelberg by sandysmith

Engelberg Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 500 photos

A bit of a trek here for a day trip from our base in Vitznau but well worth it - Engelberg literally means "Mount of Angels" and it certainly is a heavenly place to visit with the huge Benedictine monastery dominating the town and surrounded by wonderful alpine peaks. Mt Titlis is the largest peak here in central Switzerland and its one of those "must do" mountain trips. I had been here before with VT'er Rebibi but with cloudy weather we just saw the town and the cheese factory in the monastery. This time I was back here with hubby and the sun was shinning so we headed for the mountains this time.

The glacier and scenery and splendid hiking trails only whetted our appeptite more (or was it the cheese!) for a future visit, perhaps a longer stay. There's certainly more to explore than just the monastery and the big 4-stage cable-car trip to Titlis.

• Pros:Titlis and the cheese making monastery, hiking
  • In a nutshell:makes for a great day out
  • Last visit to Engelberg: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2009

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Fantastic, beautiful photographs. I felt quite giddy looking at that gondola. Would love some cheese from the monastery.

• amsor's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 8:01 AM

great photos of Engelberg !

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 10:19 PM

wow, that is a great place to go and still missing on my map ! ;-(( Maybe the next time, when I will go to Switzerland !

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Hi Sandy. Thx for dropping by in my Switzerland page. You were so lucky with the weather during your stay here. Great! I like this main pic in your Engelberg page. I love Titlis. Gorgeous captures!

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2006 at 1:57 PM

That cheese sandwich is something else! Great write up and tips.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 2:53 PM

I see what you mean -- I'll move my page tomorrow. Nice page you're building yourself! Cheers, Mark

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Engelberg

Have you been to Engelberg?

Latest Activity in Engelberg