"Kandersteg" Top 5 Page for this destination Kandersteg by sandysmith

Kandersteg Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 291 photos

This is one of my most favourite places in Switzerland and have now visited 5 times - twice for quick day trips up to the beautiful Oeschinensee. and the last three times for 3 day stays in Kandersteg and managing a few walks here. The visit in 2007 for 3 days we had even better weather up at the lake and it was so good to share a memorable last day with VT'ers Rebibi and Bigs.

In 2008 another 3 day stay , we arrived by walking the Gemmi pass via gondola from Leukerbad, made a trip out to the nearby Lotschental valley (stunning scenery) and finally managed the Heuberg loop above lake Oeschinensee - yay! - although not as clear as previous year it was cooler temperature for walking. Please see my Oeschinensee Page for more info and pictures.

Main points of interest are:
crag-ringed Oeschinensee, accessed by a chairlift on eastern part of village and then a 20 min stroll to this pretty alpine lake.

A lift on the opposite side of the valley accesses the Allmenalp.

The lift at the end of the valley climbs to 1900m and heads over to the Gemmi pass linking the Valais region.

A walk in the remote, almost hidden Gasternatal valley and its wild gorge.

• Pros:not overly touristic
  • Cons:clouds can hang around in the valley
  • In a nutshell:charming mountain resort in the kander Valley
  • Last visit to Kandersteg: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 4, 2008

• Jul 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Sandy thank you for wonderful pictures of Kandersteg. Have to say hiking is going to be the main activity but I did think some of the trails looked a little precarious...hoping it was just the camera angle. Anyway thanks again

• BoxTortuga's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Sandy: loved your photo's. My wife and I visited K in 1986 and went back with our 2 daughters in 2001. Your photo's bring back lots of great memories. We attended Easter (Oster) Sunday services in the little church on the main street.

• VanceCarruth's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Sandy, I very much enjoyed every page and every picture...my wife and I will be at the Post Hotel in October so were pleased to see we made a wise choice! I loved Kandersteg when I visited there in 1986 with my son and have always wanted to return!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 4:57 PM

You're back in August?! I envy you, Sandy! ;o) I tried everything, but couldn't get Iceland, the Faroes, and Kandersteg in a single itinerary, so no visit on our June trip. With luck, we'll make a second trip to Europe and visit Kandersteg then!

• Flienie's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Oh, I really love this page. I've been in Kandersteg about 15 years ago and I still think of the beautifl views and walks we had there. :)

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2004 at 4:20 AM

Can someone be homesick for their favorite vacation place? I very much enjoyed your page!

• Bigs's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2004 at 11:55 AM

Hey the Gemmipass looks very inviting to me....maybe we should plan on a summer vacation in Switzerland when I'm in England....Looking forward to meet you hiking addict like me! It ś not so far away anymore!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 3:35 PM

Great page, fantastic coverage of the area and amazing pictures! You are very talented... I would love to visit even your tourist trap now haha. Greetings :-)

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 2:10 AM

Splendid outlooks of those mountains, I feel great after visiting your outstanding pages, Daubensee is simply superb, I feel you and Dave are having great times in Swiss Goldie dear, Oooppss Sandy dear LOL

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 1:59 AM

A great page again! I love your mountain pages ... very informative text and brilliant pics. Did you really miss the Ruedihuus restaurant??

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Kandersteg

Have you been to Kandersteg?