"Saas-Almagell" Saas-Almagel by sandysmith

Saas-Almagel Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 26 photos

Saas-Almagell is the most southerly village in the Saas Valley in thre Valais region of Switzerland and is situated at 1600 m above sea-level. Quieter than neighbouring Saas Fee.

A variety of hiking paths exist - easy and flat around the Mattmark Dam, more experienced will tackle the the Monte-Moro pass or the Antrona pass to Italy, which were used by the ancient Romans and also smugglers.

The Almagelleralp is also worth exploring and from there you can return across the adventurous trail around the Almagellerhorn via its ladders and rope bridgs to the oldest hamlet still in existence in Saas-Almagell - Furggstalden with its original old Valais houses.

• Pros:small untouristic swiss village
  • Cons:walk around dam was closed
  • Last visit to Saas-Almagel: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 18, 2004

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 10:46 AM

Beautiful !!! I was in Saas Almagell when I was in school - but it seems not much has changed in this tiny village ! And never made it to Mattmark Dam - it looks great !

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 10:55 PM

Another Alpine Paradise that I need to discover and hike... Thanks for your wish. Greetings from the Sunny Valais ;-)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 2:51 PM

More of the Swiss alpine at its best thanks to our British wanderer! Great pictures and tips. I tlooks like you are ready for a real 'iron route';-] The have some in Slovenia, you know;-\

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2004 at 3:01 PM

A kind of destination for me :-))) And that Steinbock looks sympathetic :-) Thanks for sharing your findings with us!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2004 at 9:42 AM

Wowie how fantastic, I liked the photo of that sweet Blondy climbing the stairs :-)))

• Jul 18, 2004 at 8:32 AM

argh you made me want to go back to switzerland here. i would never survive the adventure trail though..... oh and, i want to see the plastic sheep!!!!!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2004 at 6:11 PM

Wonderful page Sandy and beautiful photos! The adventure trail looks like fun! And I am sold on that Appel strudel with vanilla sauce.... mmmm, delicious! Hahaha, only the thought of it makes my mouth water already :-))

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2004 at 9:42 AM

Your page brings back such lovely memories! Remember that path from Saas Fee to S. Almagell very well, had a nice meal there in the restaurant Bodmen. Do you know about that horrible accident with the Mattmark reservoir?

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2004 at 9:11 AM

We are two of a kind, always looking for those mountain villages like this and Zermatt. Go to the east sometime around Davos and Scuol. I can never say enough about this beautiful place. We are true admirers.

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Saas-Almagel

Have you been to Saas-Almagel?

Latest Activity in Saas-Almagel