"Pearl of the Swiss Alps" Top 5 Page for this destination Saas-Fee by sandysmith

Saas-Fee Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 172 photos

Sunny Swiss Alps

Located at the end of the Saastal, or Saas Valley, at an elevation of 1,800 meters (5,900 feet), the scenic swiss village of Saas Fee is ringed by the Mischabel Range. More than a dozen peaks rise 4,000-plus meters (13,120-feet plus) in an amphitheater-like setting of snow, ice and rock.
No wonder its deservedly coined the "pearl of the Alps".

First visited by us many years ago (just for a few days) we were delighted to return here in the summer of 2004 for a longer stay. The cable-car trips here, the marmots and the high level hiking admist stunning mountain and glacier scenery were wonderful.

A trip up the Alpin metro to the revolving restaurant beneath the Allain mountain will be a memorable trip.

The marmots here are quite friendly and can be fed - more so in late summer when they are too fat to move fast!

• Pros:stunning glacier scenery and hiking
  • Cons:long transfer times from airport
  • In a nutshell:Great glacier village get-away
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2005

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2006 at 7:41 AM

Excellent page. I must get back to Saas-Fee again! Cheers, Mark

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 2:10 AM

Incredible scenery has me wondering why I've not been back to Switzerland in nearly ten years now! A great page despite the cable cars. ;)

• Pakistaniguy's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 10:14 AM

Loved your Saas Fee Page !

• sierralyndon's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2005 at 6:35 AM

Saas Fee looks wonderful!! I've been to Zermatt twice but would like to choose "the other" road now at the junction. I love marmots too!!!

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 5:06 AM

Well done .

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 5:21 PM

Hi Sandy! After watching your great photos, I'm sure you enjoy the Saas Fee experience (better than Zermatt???). Thanks for your hiking info, which give me good tips for my next hikes. See you soon in Valais ;-)

• Gentleman75's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 2:19 AM

What a superb page about Saas-Fee! And what a superb place! You took nice photos and wrote good tips. Greetings from Hungary!

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2004 at 1:57 PM

just log in and see that close up glacier pic from Saas Fee. Fantastic!!! Super!!!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 3:11 PM

Somehow I knew there would be a hike involved in these tips to the Britannia Hut:-] A super area that you have demonstrated very admirably. I'm sure the marmots will be looking forward to your return;-]

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2004 at 12:16 PM

What else than brilliant is accurate for this page? ;-) By the way, we did the hike to Britannia hut from Plattjen, up across the Chessjen glacier and DOWN to Saas Almagell. I guess you can imagine how we felt afterwards ...

sandysmith

“THank you for the birthday wishes!”

Badges & Stats in Saas-Fee

Have you been to Saas-Fee?

Latest Activity in Saas-Fee