Zermatt Off The Beaten Path Tips by sandysmith Top 5 Page for this destination
Zermatt Off The Beaten Path: 42 reviews and 57 photos
hiking aboved Zermatt
Many trails just like this, off the beaten track away from the touristic crowds down in Zermatt's main street.
This is some where above Furi, meandering around the little moutain hamlets.
deer vanishing into the undergrowth
The walk from Findeln to Zermatt was through a shady larch forest. A bit of a zig-zag path down at times and of course the views are not as stunning as those seen higher up. At the lower edge of the forest we met with the gornegrat railway line and then followed a path contouring round above and eventually down into the centre of Zermatt - the steps down here were quite tiresome by this stage. We did see some some wildlfe - marmotts can be seen by Blauherd and the lakes there and we manged to snap this deer which shot across our path (surprisingly as we neared Zermatt) and down into the grassy fields.
glacier gorge view
At the far end of Zermatt not far from Furi you can enter the glacier gorge for a small fee - much like the one at Grindelwald. A series of boards around this ravine will enable you to see the rushing water cascading down from the glaciers safely.
backstreet of Zermatt
Walking down into Zermatt gives you the chance to explore the back streets where you''ll find charming old barns -the mazots on - have much more rustic appeal than the modern hotel which throng the main streets of Zermatt.
Although I got a slight reflection of the Matterhorn in the Grinjisee some of the other peaks around were better framed - as in this pic. It really is an idyllic spot and there is a path around it. This is a hike I could easily do again.
After the hike around the lakes we'd planned to take the sunegga funicular down ..but we still had plenty of time before the mini-bus was due to take us back to Saas Fee. So we walked through the village of Findeln where some of the best views of the Matterhorn can be had and down through the forest to the centre of Zermatt (another 1.5 hours) What a contrast to the previous year -so glad we extended our hike here. The village is so quaint and picturesque and worth a vist in itself.
The Leisee was a short detour UP off the path from the Grindjisee to Findeln. You could easily reach the Sunnegga funicular in a few minutes from here and ride the easy way back down to Zermatt. This pic in July is so different from the view we had in August of the preceding year. What a difference the weather can make!
keeping warm ;-)
Part way up the Gornegrat trail, just near the Riflesee station - a great place to have your pic taken with the Matterhorn in the background - just a shame it was clouded over by then, oh well thats mountain weather for you ;-/ Some day we will be back yet again I think for that perfect reflection of the Matterhorn in the lake near here!
The Moosjesee (2140m) completes the 5 lakes - Stellisee, Grunsee, Grindjsee and Leisee being the others. Again this was a bit of a detour below our target of Findeln so just another shot from up above it. It looked more like a man-made dam lake to me and judging by the turquoise colour of the water would not be reflecting either :-S. So the Stellisee or the Grindjsee are best options for the scenic views and good spots for an alpine picnic on the 5 lakes walk.
An easy broad path from Stellisee leads to Grindjisee (2334m) another of the mountain lakes where a reflection of the Mattenhorn can be found on a clear still day. Its an idyllic lake fringed with pine trees and is a wonderful place for a picnic and bathe - be warned water is icy! These mountains lakes are easily reached just a short hike from the Blauherd or Sunegga mountain transport systems so don't miss them.
More Reviews (56)
- See All Sunnegga View of Matterhorn
- See All Myriad of Mountain Transport
- Clothes for all weather required....
- See All Schwarzsee - Black Lake
- See All Kleine Matterhorn
- See All Le Petit Rooftop Terrace
sandysmith's Related Pages
Zermatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- "Zermatt and the Majestic Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt - Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt and the Mighty Matterhorn"
- "Matterhorn Collection"
- "Zermatt and the Matterhorn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zermatt
- Hotels in Zermatt
- Transportation in Zermatt
- Nightlife in Zermatt
- Restaurants in Zermatt
- Shopping in Zermatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Zermatt
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ruby Falls Hotels
- Rockledge Hotels
- Manorhamilton Hotels
- Franklin Hotels
- Manila Off The Beaten Path
- Erie Off The Beaten Path
- Starnberger See - Lake Starnberg
- San Antonio Off The Beaten Path
- Anaheim Off The Beaten Path
- Hana Off The Beaten Path
- Greece Off The Beaten Path
- Australia Off The Beaten Path
- National Stud Farm
- Upper (old) city (Ano Poli)
- Xuzhou Off The Beaten Path
- Indonesia Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Zermatt
- 74 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 61 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Zermatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zermatt
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Zermatt hotel reviews
- Wellness- and Vitalhotel Pirmin Zurbriggen Zermatt
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 24, 2013
- Grand Zermatterhof Hotel Zermatt
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- The Omnia
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Hotel Berghof
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 24, 2012
- Gornergrat Dorf Hotel Zermatt
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2012
- Coeur des Alpes
- 247 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Hotel Mont Cervin Palace
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Weisshorn
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel-Restaurant Alpenblick Zermatt
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Youthhostel Zermatt
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 27, 2012
- Grand Hotel Schoenegg Zermatt
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Hotel Perren
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Hotel Riffelberg
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Le Petit Hotel
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Gornergrat- 17 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Glacier Express- 5 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Matterhorn- 15 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Klein Matterhorn- 7 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Matterhorn Glacier Paradise- 3 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Walking- 5 Reviews, 19 Photos
- St. Mauritius Church- 4 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Matterhorn Museum- 5 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Cemetery- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Sunnegga Paradise- 2 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Zermatt Things to Do