"Zermatt and the Majestic Matterhorn" Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt by sandysmith
Zermatt Travel Guide: 536 reviews and 1,496 photos
to this flower bedecked village that is more like a town now.
Indeed its difficult to know which is the greater - the number of flowers or the number of tourists!
Many more pics of this marvellous mountain in the travelogue below
Many hikes of all grades and lengths are availble, many can be given a head start with the wonderful mountain transport available. The walks are well marked out and the times given are usually fairly accurate.
A good site for hikes in Zermatt can be found here
Around the town, tucked away in little alleyways and up amongst the higher pastures are these lovely olde-worlde barns on stilts or "mushrooms". Take time to explore the town for these barns, who knows they might not be seen in the town for too much longer - quite a bit of modern development is unfortunately taking over.
If like me you enjoy riding those cable-cars and funiculars then Zermatt has no shortage of them.
Gornegratt is the mountain railway for great views over Zermatt, the Matterhorn and the many glaciers.
The Sunegga funicular takes you up to some wonderful alpine walks and mountain lakes you can swim in. Here there are two further gondolas that take you to Blauherd and Rothorn.
The Kleine Matterhorn - for a stunning alpine panorama, there's more to Zermatt than the Matterhorn - is a 4 stage cable-car. Furi - Furg - Schwarzsee - Trockner Steg - Kleine Matterhorn. Allow an hour to get right to the top but the views are well worth it.
- Pros:wonderful scenery
- Cons:unpredictable weather
- In a nutshell:Swish Swiss Resort
At the far end of Zermatt not far from Furi you can enter the glacier gorge for a small fee - much like the one at... more travel advice
The walk from Findeln to Zermatt was through a shady larch forest. A bit of a zig-zag path down at times and of course... more travel advice
- See All Myriad of Mountain Transport
- Clothes for all weather required....
- See All Schwarzsee - Black Lake
- See All Kleine Matterhorn
- See All Le Petit Rooftop Terrace
sandysmith's Related Pages
Zermatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- "Zermatt and the Majestic Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt - Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt and the Mighty Matterhorn"
- "Matterhorn Collection"
- "Zermatt and the Matterhorn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zermatt
- Hotels in Zermatt
- Transportation in Zermatt
- Nightlife in Zermatt
- Restaurants in Zermatt
- Shopping in Zermatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Zermatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zermatt
- 74 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 61 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Zermatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zermatt
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 110 reviews, 259 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 130 reviews, 166 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 112 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 101 reviews, 158 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 114 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 94 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 43 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 74 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubrovnik Intro, 40 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sousse Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue